X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Life for White Socks

When I started wearing kilts about 6 or 7 years ago, I bought two pairs of white socks. I do not wear white kilt socks any longer so I was trying to figure out what to do with them since they are fairly good quality. So, for about 7.00 US dollars of dye, I now have some decent looking kilt socks.

Here are the white socks.

I first dyed the tops green.

After 30 minutes, I rinsed the tops in cold water. They came out okay and here is how they looked after the tops where done. I did this outside so I did not accidentally destroy anything in the house.

I finished by doing the rest of each pair in blue or purple.

So, after they finish drying and I make sure the dye is set, I will have to try them out.

I wanted to share an afternoon project. Trying to take something I stopped using and making it into something that would work with my kilts.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Green Dragon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done.

I'm a big fan of contrasting cuff socks.

I've been knitting these on my circular sock knitting machine for a while now. People seem to like them.

Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying the colors of your "new" socks. Dying has its challenges when synthetic fabrics are involved but is the way to go when improving natural cottons or wools. Give us an update when it's time to refresh the colors by re-dying (if needed at all).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Well done.

I'm a big fan of contrasting cuff socks.

I've been knitting these on my circular sock knitting machine for a while now. People seem to like them.

If only they were on your website...
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you use hot water? The dye videos online use hot water, but won't that shrink the hose?

Hmmm, I could buy white piper hose, dye them claret, and not spend 50 bucks. Why didn't I think of this before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what will happen when your leg starts to sweat? Will any of the dye come off on your skin? Hmmm, then maybe you won't need any hose?
    Regards,
    Tom

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to slothead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea on the dye job!

(or, you could have made sock puppets - just sayin')

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really sorry but my hand-crafted "Heritage" kilt hose are not on my website. These are custom made and fit to each individual customers measurements.

They are made on a circular sock knitting machine.

This something I got into a few years ago. I am now fully engrossed in these fantastic machines.

I have 11 different colors of yarn and many different cylinders and ribbers. Changing out between cylinders allow more or less needles to be used.
    With these I can custom fit from very narrow to very very wide calves and can create different types and styles of ribbing down the leg.

I have one of these machines set up to make argyle hose but I'm still perfecting my technique. I have only made two pair of Argyles and they were not 100% perfect.

It is my hope that I can begin to offer hose for guys with really large legs or for guys who need something not available anywhere else such as one shorter foot. (I have one customer who lost the toes on one foot to diabetes)

It takes about four hours to make a pair of hose. Quite a bit more to make Argyles or to do cables down the leg. It is still far faster than hand knitting.

And I'm sorry but due to the cost of high quality sock yarns I'm not able to compete with the prices of mass produced hose. One pair of kilt hose has almost $50.00 worth of yarn.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 26th July 16 at 12:52 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    I'm really sorry but my hand-crafted "Heritage" kilt hose are not on my website. These are custom made and fit to each individual customers measurements.

They are made on a circular sock knitting machine.

This something I got into a few years ago. I am now fully engrossed in these fantastic machines.

I have 11 different colors of yarn and many different cylinders and ribbers. Changing out between cylinders allow more or less needles to be used.
    With these I can custom fit from very narrow to very very wide calves and can create different types and styles of ribbing down the leg.

I have one of these machines set up to make argyle hose but I'm still perfecting my technique. I have only made two pair of Argyles and they were not 100% perfect.

It is my hope that I can begin to offer hose for guys with really large legs or for guys who need something not available anywhere else such as one shorter foot. (I have one customer who lost the toes on one foot to diabetes)

It takes about four hours to make a pair of hose. Quite a bit more to make Argyles or to do cables down the leg. It is still far faster than hand knitting.

And I'm sorry but due to the cost of high quality sock yarns I'm not able to compete with the prices of mass produced hose. One pair of kilt hose has almost $50.00 worth of yarn.
    I looked into a circular sock machine, a "some-work-needed" machine will nickel and dime you into the poor house it seems before it ever really works right, or at all.... I recall you had a thread on these machines, that's when I was inspired to try my hand at.... Buying hose from others.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to the questions, I did dye in hot wated but rinsed in cold. I put them in the dryer for 10 minutes with an old towel then finshed by air drying.

They did not appear to shrink much at all. I will find out if my legs turn colors when I get a chance to wear them. Hopefully the dye stays put.

For my first time trying to dye something, I think it came out okay. I got the idea from my kid dying a lactosse head.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Green Dragon For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast