X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have gotten some good advice regarding storage and I cannot really add anything. Rolling is a bad idea for the reasons mentioned. I will give you the benefit of my experience, however.

I have three kilts. The oldest is 33 years old and does not have a single moth hole anywhere...I just checked. The middle kilt is 22 years old, was worn regularly for the 14 years I was in the Scottish trade and has no holes either. The newest is only 3 and it does not have any holes. My storage method is to hang all three in my closet, right at the front where every time I open the door they are exposed to light. My closet door has louvers so air is constantly circulating. I have also been careful to keep my kilts clean and free of any sources of protein for moth larvae. I do not use any kind of moth repellent, natural or otherwise. Maybe I have just been lucky but that has worked well for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I in the past stored them hanging on a single hanger and sometimes they would "pop" off the clips. During travel I found rolling them reduces the wrinkles. I have to try the two hanger method. The wife will soon see a shortage of clip hangers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    T
    The two hanger method came about here in my shop.
    I do similar, though I use three hangers-- one for the pleated back, one for each apron, then fold the kilt as I'd wear and hang it. Probably overkill and I could probably get away with one on the pleats, one for both aprons. (I probably learned it here.)

The good thing about this is that by spreading the hangers on the closet bar, it opens up the kilt a bit-- like just in case I'm not quite sure it's fully aired from the last wearing, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post

For long term storage I suggest using my two hanger method - cut a small hole in a pillow case closed end and slip the hanger through the hole. Sew some velcro on the open end and close the pillow case with the velcro. Make sure the kilt is not bunched up at the bottom of the pillow case.
    This is a fabulous idea.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to start any arguments, but, posting this as information. The gentleman who made this video is a kilt maker, who was formerly in a kilted regiment, where he learned to make their kilts. Perhaps rolling the kilt works, without "cold pressing", if one actually wears their kilt frequently? ( I do not know, just speculation.)
    https://youtu.be/GelpwDSX4mE
    Last edited by jhockin; 30th April 17 at 10:13 AM.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the USA Kilts, 4-clip hangers that I got from Rocky. They're sturdy, non-slip and my pleats seem to do just fine when stored hanging on them. For protection, I built a bunch of flat bags which fit over the hung kilts and seal on the bottom with either zippers or full width Velcro, so that there are no gaps where anything could get in. The fabric is Sunbrella acrylic boat canvas, which is tough, very breathable, an excellent UV shield, water resistant, and not something bugs want to try to eat through. I have rolled kilts a couple of times for travel, but I doubt that I would want to store them rolled for long periods.

We really like Rocky's hangers. My wife just bought ten more of them for her tartan and tweed skirts, which tend to be heavy enough that they occasionally fall out of regular hangers.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12