X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: New sporran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New sporran

I purchased a black buzz kidder country sporran off their website and just received it. Picture on their website showed it to be a shinier leather than what showed up. I'm curious, since I've never worked with leather before, if this is normal for them not to have a shiny appearance. If not is there an oil or polish I can use to make it shine?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked on the Buzz Kidder web site and could not get a good look at the sporrans to determine the finish. I expect the gloss of the photo you saw will not be true to the real item. Oils can enrich the sheen and keep the leather supple (as described in the web site) but may stain your kilt if not properly administered and maintained.

Waxes and polishes will "shine" better, but may stiffen up the sporran and make it rigid (with the same concerns of damage to the kilt).

Look at the sporran for what it is first, a carry-all for your personal items. If the one you bought fits that need, and you like the construction-look-feel, get a fancier one for fancier occasions.

Sporrans can also become addictive. My three will easily have company if I don't monitor their social appearances.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they can be addictive, especially if you make your own. I now have four and am thinking about what I will do for the the next one.

Christoph

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
    I purchased a black buzz kidder country sporran off their website and just received it. Picture on their website showed it to be a shinier leather than what showed up. I'm curious, since I've never worked with leather before, if this is normal for them not to have a shiny appearance. If not is there an oil or polish I can use to make it shine?
    What do you think about the capacity of the sporran? I'm considering buying the Loch Ness or the Celtic Weave, which are photographed as being of similar size, but am concerned it won't fit my iPhone 6 Plus... it truly pains me to say that as a determining factor, but the phone is the biggest item. Then again, if it can fit the phone, it should fit my flask, so it's not all bad. I'll have to keep the sheen effect in mind if I proceed. Thanks!
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMc View Post
    What do you think about the capacity of the sporran? I'm considering buying the Loch Ness or the Celtic Weave, which are photographed as being of similar size, but am concerned it won't fit my iPhone 6 Plus... it truly pains me to say that as a determining factor, but the phone is the biggest item. Then again, if it can fit the phone, it should fit my flask, so it's not all bad. I'll have to keep the sheen effect in mind if I proceed. Thanks!
    From what I've heard they are very roomy sporrans, which is why I purchased one for piping. It does have a lot of room inside and the leather is soft so you can cram things in if need be. The magnetic closure is also nice. I've had trouble getting in touch with them but they are exchanging the one I received for one that more closely resembles the one on their website. They're explanation was that they use buffalo hide leather and its not all the same grain. They also have a choice between three medalions (celtic knot, rampant lion, I don't know the third) so you can request a certain one. For the price its a well made sporran that should last a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mink oil!!

Just had a quick look at the sporrans you are talking about, mink oil is what I use to keep mine in good condition, but no sheen when dry, on the upside the leather will remain supple and will look better for longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beeswax based oils

I tend to avoid mink and neatsfoot oils. Yes, they soften. But they also tend to weaken leather over the (very, very) long term.

As someone who's very life has depended on good custom leather boots on wildfires in the west I only use beeswax oils. Obenauf's is my favorite. The heavy boot oil is liquid and penetrates well. The solid leather preservative is fantastic as well. Melts by hand warmth. Being beeswax it can be buffed to a shine. Use a hair dryer to get it to penetrate a bit better. All my leather gets this treatment from custom and high end boots to motorcycle jackets to belts and knife sheaths.