X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An easier way to think about the Northern California / Southern California is "Us" and "Them"

In Nevada Las Vegas is "Them" and the rest of the state is "Us".
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Believe me, the further north you go, the more grass there is

Now, somebody not from California might wonder why Jamie identifies Monterey as being in Northern California when if you divided the state into thirds Monterey is in Central California.

If you divide California into two halves the centerline of California is the 37th parallel, which runs just south of San Francisco; San Francisco itself would be in NorCal but pretty much everything south of it would be SoCal

But Californians conceive the border as being much further south; here is one attempt to define it

Richard:

I know I'll get in trouble for this, but if you're looking for grass in CA, Humboldt County (see north near Oregon border) is where it can be found. OK, i'll go now.

JMB

(hey, 500th post--what do you know?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That arena has some history. It's the site of the main stage for the Monterey Jazz Festival. I've seen the Count Basie band and the Modern Jazz Quartet there, a "number" of years ago. It's also the site of the Monterey Blues Festival, which back in the 1960's hosted...on one night.... Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and the Holding Company, and the Mama's and the Papa's.

Panache has it right, it's a great place for the audience. However, it's a horrible place for the athletes. The dirt is hardpan, it destroys cabers. The hardpan has a layer of small-diameter dirt on it, so throwing is like throwing on a layer of ball-bearings sitting on glass. Footwork is dicey at best.

However, the illustration of both myself and Roger throwing sheaf shows the wild difference in our techniques. I should change, Roger throws about 5 feet higher than I do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12