X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, one hardy Scot just seems to manage with this, in cold weather.

Not my picture.

We rarely get "your" type of cold in Scotland for long. Us lesser mortals, wear in cold conditions with the kilt, tweed overcoats, tweed inverness cloaks, anything that works basically. I have always fancied a "clerical cloak" that drops down to near the ground and wraps around the neck too, but my "British Warm" and if needed, an umbrella has done me well for most of my adult life.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada cold.

I have one of theses.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LongShanks For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, you're right, clerical cloaks like these work very well!

In this picture, it's over my liturgical robes at the cenotaph on Remembrance Day, but I have worn it over a kilt as well once or twice.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sharp looking jacket and waistcoat.
    hhmm ... kilts for less, eh?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Jock, you're right, clerical cloaks like these work very well!

In this picture, it's over my liturgical robes at the cenotaph on Remembrance Day, but I have worn it over a kilt as well once or twice.
    Just what I had in mind Bill! Did Mr. Wippell of Exeter(UK) make it? Out of interest, would it be considered "bad form" for a non cleric to wear one?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd August 16 at 08:35 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, purchased from Almy Churchware in the US; very inexpensive and quick with their shipping.

I see no reason why you shouldn't wear one Jock. It's not specifically or even particularly clerical although they're generally worn mostly by clergy. It keeps from mussing up our robes and has wee hand slits to venture out and hold onto a prayerbook or other such item.

I very much like it when I have to do something like the service shown here or at a cemetery interment. Some clergy even wear them at the door when they're saying farewell to parishioners in the winter.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have seen "our" clergy wear them on the same occasions too. As you know, I am far from a regular visitor to religious events ,but at my age funerals are an ever more common event and those bleak, wet, cold and windswept grave yards that we have up here do cause me to consider one of those cloaks quite seriously. Its that extra length that is so appealing. I note that some cloaks come with a hood too, which is well worth a thought too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great guys.

[QUOTE=Taskr;1325876]Very sharp looking jacket and waistcoat.
    hhmm ... kilts for less, eh?[/QUOTE

http://www.kilts4less.com/

check them out the best service I have hade anywhere.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree about the tweed waistcoat and jacket, but I recently acquired an Inverness cape used on eBay to ward off the worst of the Chicago winters. I don't have a picture of myself in it yet, but here's an idea.

http://www.scottishtradingcompany.co...p0ulgd1u9lh1i0
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a beautiful cape. I love their ad too, but "fowl" weather? What? Chickens are falling out of the sky?

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast