X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on Belted Plaid

I am working on a Jacobite (45) impression and i had a question on wearing a belted plaid...

Would the dirk / sporran be suspended from the same belt that secures the plaid? Or would a second belt be worn?

Many thanks for any help / input!

James

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will post this link to another thread (as I did for new member Keagan from Germany). Look to the first posting for photos of outfits of the periods. Later reading will cover the dirk and other items carried by the Highlanders.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...te-garb-51320/

Asking and answering is what we do here. Discussions clarify the details and share opinions of the Rabble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you

Thank you Tarheel... A 44 page thread may take a bit of wading but if you think the belt question is answered there that's where I'll start!

James

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the length of the thread James. Some of the earliest (XMarks youthful days) posts were fresh and unexplored as topics in a public forum, thus the thoroughness.

I have found that a subject will follow a train of thought by one member (unless high jacked off topic) that may lead to many aspects of the concept issue. In this case, Jacobite garb includes belts, dirks, shoes, hats, material weaves and patterns, etc. I hope you find a lead and will pass that single tidbit on to the rest of us with your particular views and experiences attached.

Kilt on with confidence.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that link, Tarheel!

So interesting. I only got partway through, I'll need to finish it later.

I've always been fascinated by the dress of that period, though I've never worn it.

I did have a costume that I used to wear to RenFaire back around 1980 which was, more or less, the middle ground/missing link between the traditional Irish brat-and-leine costume and Highland Dress: a large wool rectangle with fur trim all around which could be worn either as belted plaid or brat according to whim, with leine and crios. I found a great bit of wool for it with a pattern halfway between tweed and tartan.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One or two belts could be a class distinction, or just a fashionable one.

If your sporran has a single hanger loop, then it can be worn on the same belt as what holds up the great kilt. If it has a pair of hanger loops, then its designed to be worn on a separate belt. There are very few all leather non cantled sporrans that survive, so its hard to make a hard and fast rule one way or the other.

Here are some photos of origional sporrans that I have gathered from across the internet. All I can say is that they are from the greater 18th Century, as I dont have the collection history and particulars saved.

All Leather sporran:

Sporran Cantle designed to be worn on a thinner second belt:

Cantled Sporran with one single loop that could be worn on the same belt as what holds up the plaid:

One thing I will caution you on, stay away from the round blacksmith made old tyme buckles, they are modern creations.

here is a a belt and buckle recovered from a bog body, its a typical European buckle of the period. You can find this buckle from many of the reenactment supply houses, its often called a "French Marine" buckle

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recognise that second sporran .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please let me know the particulars! They have been snagged off the net over the last 20 years with no info retained on them

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally feel that one aspect of dress that many people seem to forget or ignore is that very few guys would have dressed exactly the same. There were, and are, many ways to wear clothing. I seriously doubt that everyone had the same items or wore them the same way. I'll bet some wore one belt and some wore two.

I'll also bet that some used a piece of rope or anything else they happen to have or could afford.

Remember that you are talking about the period of the mid 1700's. Tricornered hats, knee length pantaloons with white knee stockings and knee length coats were the norm during that period. The British Regular Army were issued uniforms (or in the case of officers purchased their own) but civilians wore whatever they had.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 22nd August 16 at 10:15 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Please let me know the particulars! They have been snagged off the net over the last 20 years with no info retained on them
    Seall, s'mise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wedding-1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	28899

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast