X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glascow area tartan? Is ther one?

Years ago I asked if the name last name of Arnold showed up on any of the tartan registers, or in
    Scotland at all. Some one answered that the name shows up in a small area was of Glasgow.
    I do t know how factual this is, but the person went on to say I would be allowed to wear
    The tartan of that region, not the tartan of he city of Glasgow. The one that would tell people I came
    From that area of Scotland. For some reason the name Galowglas comes to mind, but I am not sure.

Is this true? If so what is the name of the tartan?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kearnold02 View Post
    Years ago I asked if the name last name of Arnold showed up on any of the tartan registers, or in
    Scotland at all. Some one answered that the name shows up in a small area was of Glasgow.
    I do t know how factual this is, but the person went on to say I would be allowed to wear
    The tartan of that region, not the tartan of he city of Glasgow. The one that would tell people I came
    From that area of Scotland. For some reason the name Galowglas comes to mind, but I am not sure.

Is this true? If so what is the name of the tartan?

Thanks!
    The Glasgow tartan dates to the 1780s and was named after the city as a marketing exercise. The same firm wove tartans named Aberdeen, Crieff, Dundee, Fort William etc., etc. It's not a case of being 'allowed' to wear the Glasgow tartan; if you like it, wear it.

Do not confuse Glasgow and the Gallowglass, the latter is nothing to do with the former and is certainly nothing to do with the area around Glasgow.

Glasgow sits within Strathclyde which has it's own tartan, a fashion sett from the 1970s. It's not the nicest deign IMO. There are a number of tartans associated with Glasgow. Take your pick, although some will be easier to find than others.

Mods, suggest that this thread is moved to the Tartan Place.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: