X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kilt cannot be universally accepted

Despite the widely held belief by many of our dedicated and frequent kilt-wearers,
    The kilt is not the widely and universally accepted mode of dress that they would have us believe. It is certainly true that wearing the kilt in very many places and in
    Very many countries is accepted with delight and pleasure by a great many observers. I have experienced first hand the benefits of being a kilt wearer in so many different countries and cultures. It is very gratifying and satisfying to know that your mode of dress is greeted by so great a number of compliments not only by females but equally by the male gender as well.
    As a Scot I always feel an extra responsibility to my country when rigged out in the kilt, it is so easy to to commit an act of rudeness and as a result bring about a consensus of opinion that all kilt wearers are
    same.
    Nevertheless there are places and countries that if you wear a kilt you will be treated as if you were from another planet. There can be outright aggression, derision and scorn from various people in hostile and strange quarters.
    My experience of kilt wearing is one that must be selective and take in where you are with acceptance of peoples background, locality, culture, religion and in many cases poverty if the region.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in areas where there is 'poverty', walking around in a £200 kilt might seem rude if you are surrounded by tracksuited locals. I generally weigh up the place and occasion before kilting up. A function like a ball / ceilidh, family event, wedding etc is more likely for me than just strapping one on and walking about. Yeah not everyone is going to like the kilt, but the thing is not to worry about everyone's opinion
    Kilted Technician!

3. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to thecompaqguy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, I certainly agree with you that in poorer areas wearing the kilt could well be a provacation. Even in Glasgow I would not casually wear the kilt in the east end of the city as I easily do in the west end, there is a big culture difference in these parts of the city but its not to say that the kilt is not worn by guys from the east end , it would always be on a more formal basis like a wedding or perhaps less formally at Hampden when Scotland are playing.
    Again I would not wear the kilt in many Muslim countries where it may look insulting to their beliefs or by others interpreting it as cross-dressing.
    In saying all this, there are as you know plenty of countries where the kilt is more than welcome.
    Even in Scotland we have divisions about kilt wearing, some guys would not be seen dead in one, I have a brother whose wife would love him in a kilt but there is more chance of him flying to the moon than wearing our national dress

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would WANT to be in a country that looked down on the kilt. They would not be my kind of people. Fortunately I live in America where I am free to wear what I want, where I want, and when I want.
    ==
    Allen
    "He's wearing boots, a kilt, and a long-sleeve tee. No coat, even though it's December. Beautiful people don't need coats. They've got their auras to keep them warm."

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to iKiltIt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes of course we all want to live in a country where we have our liberty and freedom
    Of choice in how we live.
    My point is that every country regardless of how free it is, the kilt is not universally
    Accepted as a lifestyle mode of dress.
    Even currently on this website we have posts with regards to individuals being banned
    From wearing the kilt at work and also in a customer facing environment.
    Is it not the case that we frequently get reports of a young lad being sent home from
    School or college, from his prom because he chooses to dress in a kilt
    Yes on this website, we are lovers of the kilt, most of us can't wait until our next fix
    Comes around giving us the opportunity to be kilted but we must not forget how
    Divisive kilt wearing can be in certain environments

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about to go shooting and yes, I am wearing my kilt as it is a special day for my family, and will reply to this post when I return.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iKiltIt View Post
    I don't think I would WANT to be in a country that looked down on the kilt. They would not be my kind of people. Fortunately I live in America where I am free to wear what I want, where I want, and when I want.
    The above illustrates the problem precisely! Now I don't want to be overly critical of America, Americans or the New World in general. However, you are not the only places in this world that are free to make choices, particularly clothing choices. In fact much blood and tears have been spilt by many countries during this century and particularly last century including British, Australian, New Zealand, American, Canadian, many in Europe and the Middle and Far East to ensure amongst other things, that we can . But why should any country or individual have to accept the kilt? I quite accept that a certain amount of courtesy and decorum in voicing those opinions does make life more pleasant though.

It appears to me that the New World are clinging to this "right" to "wear, what you want, where you want and when you want". Most, all probably, on this website have that option! Why are you from the New world so afraid of dress conventions? Well actually you are being rather picky! Most of you you might wear black to a funeral, most of you would not go nude to meet your Head of State, "no brown in town" and so on. So to coin a phrase, "its just not done" applies to most of us in one form or another.

This phrase of "its just not done" is nothing to be frightened of, it is just like someone having a quiet word in your ear to tell you that your flies are undone. You can choose listen to that advice , or you can choose to ignore it. It is entirely YOUR choice.

If you choose to embrace kilt conventions(any attire convention) then it will make the Scots, in this case, who care about the kilt happy as perhaps, hopefully, those looking at it will learn something and perhaps be happy too. If you choose to ignore kilt attire conventions(any attire conventions) that is entirely your choice. BUT by ignoring these conventions could be regarded as extremely selfish and most in this world, I venture to suggest, would consider that that is not desireable.

Interestingly I failed to follow my own advice and took little notice of usual kilt practice today. The kilt is not usually worn whilst out grouse shooting, there are better options and good reasons, but I wore the kilt today on a whim and certainly would not be regarded as a faux pas. The dozen or so ticks that attached themselves to my person during the day reminded me that tweed plus fours are a much better option!

Don't be afraid of attire conventions, they have been developed and fine tuned over the centuries for good reason, and the quiet, but firm words whispered in your ear of "its just not done old boy" is a "gentle" and discreet suggestion from a friend or helpful onlooker that perhaps one needs to seriously consider ones attire options. It is your choice to think and perhaps act on it. It would be wise too!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th August 16 at 10:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 15 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Jock, but please one modification: In Canada, "It's just not done" still has a fair bit of clout, and we don't spend much of our time talking about our freedoms because we know we have them and how they came to be. This is a difference in culture between Canada and the USA - not a better or worse way of seeing the world, but "different." To say "North America" is to lump two cultures into one, and I for one would rather not.

How was your shooting expedition short of the ticks?

Bill+
    Last edited by Father Bill; 20th August 16 at 09:18 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Well said Jock, but please one modification: In Canada, "It's just not done" still has a fair bit of clout, and we don't spend much of our time talking about our freedoms because we know we have them and how they came to be. This is a difference in culture between Canada and the USA - not a better or worse way of seeing the world, but "different." To say "North America" is to lump two cultures into one, and I for one would rather not.

How was your shooting expedition short of the ticks?

Bill+
    There I was trying not to upset the Americans and all I did was upset Canada! Sorry Canada, sorry Bill. Indeed you being neighbours of America will understand the differences much better than I. I am sorry to say, I too find it rather trying, arrogant even, that Americans------some Americans---- appear to think that they are the only ones with freedom of choice.

We had a good day all round, lots of laughs, the weather was kind and for us who do not pretend to be a first rate grouse moor, quite a bit to shoot at. Now long bath, a wee dram or two, grouse for a family dinner, followed by cheese and a drop of port, just to round off they day.

17. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iKiltIt View Post
    Here,here.
    There are also the casual utilikilt styles for everyday

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to oldscubaguy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast