X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan of the Grand Lodge of Canada kilt.

STA ref: 6353
    STWR ref: 3006
    Designer: Masonic Themes, Glasgow
    Tartan date: Not Specified
    Registration date: This tartan was recorded prior to the launch of The Scottish Register of Tartans.
    Size: 44 Drop 24

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

Although this is indeed listed as the "Grand Lodge of Canada" there is no such thing today, nor was there in 2004 when the tartan was apparently registered.

There was indeed at one time a "Grand Lodge of Canada" but as Masonic history progressed, it divided into the various Grand Lodges of the provinces of Canada. The only remnant of that name is here in Ontario where it is called "The Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario". There was also at one time a "Grand Lodge of Ontario" but the name was subsumed into the one quoted above.

I believe that the tartan shown is that of the "Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario" but if I'm wrong, I'm sure that somebody will correct me. I'm not sure why it would show up with the name of a currently non-existant body.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed you are correct the reg name we will likely never know..
    I spoke to the Grand Master of Ontario of the province of Canada this summer at the Grand Lodge communication in Halifax NS. But he did not know much about it, he did tell me there is no need for a dispensation only that you need be a Master Masion from a lodge in Canada. I will be traveling to the Grand Lodge in Ontario in Nov. in search of where to get a kilt. If you would like to know the history of the the name go to the link.

http://www.waterloomasons.com/masoni...ovince-ontario

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very familiar with that, but thanks for the link; there may be others who would like to read it.

Father Bill White,
    R. W. P. G. Chaplain,
    Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Very familiar with that, but thanks for the link; there may be others who would like to read it.

Father Bill White,
    R. W. P. G. Chaplain,
    Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario
    thank You Brother. I will be looking for a tour of grand lodge (nudge nudge wink wink).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another link

http://www.stonearabie.com/ToC/13Cor...Lodge6353.html

Again, they got the Grand Lodge name wrong, but the symbolism in the tartan is explained.

Burnett's and Struth sells items in this tartan but I never asked about a kilt.