X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Taylor a kilt jacket or Taylor myself?

I'm seriously thinking of buying a vintage tweed kilt jacket from a fellow member but I'm having issues with measurements, the jacket is a size too big for me, and having a family member who is a taylor I can easily get the jacket reworked to fit me, or given that I've recently gotten back to back to the gym, I Taylor my body to fit the jacket, one is the easy road, but recent attention lavished by my lovely wife regarding recent sculpting of her husband is making me think that hard work might be the better path to take...

What say the rabble? Taylor the jacket, or Taylor the wearer?

And secondly... Who here wants a challenge? I bet there are some who have an ill fitting kilt or jacket, do you want to Taylor cloth or yourself?

If I'm taking the hard road, I want to bring others along...
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stitches in clothing always last longer than any diet/exercise change I've attempted. Im out.... but I'll give you moral support all day long.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, the best I've done with almost 2 years of gym is shrink my belly. My chest was the same size then as now. Two inches of muscle might be asking a bit much.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Kudos to you GrainReaper I have been deliberately taking the hard road for the last 2 years , my lady likes the results from it . But I have run into a tailor close to me who is quite good and has altered a few recent purchases that had some 'excess' material from my 'sculpting' After receiving my PC jacket , vest etc. for my upcoming AGM in Pleasanton I found the vest just at the point it would need to be altered but instead I am using it as motivation to keep on reducing the load on my kilt belt So all in all I think doing both , untill both are not really necessary at least for me is the best course

Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of buying a vintage tweed kilt jacket from a fellow member but I'm having issues with measurements, the jacket is a size too big for me, and having a family member who is a taylor I can easily get the jacket reworked to fit me, or given that I've recently gotten back to back to the gym, I Taylor my body to fit the jacket, one is the easy road, but recent attention lavished by my lovely wife regarding recent sculpting of her husband is making me think that hard work might be the better path to take...

What say the rabble? Taylor the jacket, or Taylor the wearer?

And secondly... Who here wants a challenge? I bet there are some who have an ill fitting kilt or jacket, do you want to Taylor cloth or yourself?

If I'm taking the hard road, I want to bring others along...
    Last edited by Pegasys; 26th August 16 at 05:12 AM.
    Marc E Ferguson - IT Manager
    Clan Fergusson Society of North America
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nosce te ipsum - Dulcius ex asperis - insert wittty tri-fecta latin-ism here

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pegasys For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I wouldn't attempt either. I'd get a jacket that fits.

Since my weight has gone up and down a bit over the years I've ended up with a few jackets in two different sizes. Currently my weight is trending downward towards my smaller jackets.

I do understand, though, because I got a fabulous Full Dress Black Watch doublet that's just a hair too small. If my diet continues to work I'll be able to wear it in a year or so. But the purpose of my diet isn't to fit into that jacket, but to look and feel better.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Taylor is a decent tailor, I would only alter it slightly. Like OC Richard, my own weight fluctuates. Personally, I prefer my clothing slightly loose rather than tight.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been hitting the gym every other day, the belly is shrinking notably and I'm actually maintaining my weight.

The jacket wasn't as large across the chest as I feared.

Score so far...
    Taylor: 0
    Fitness: 0.5

I will post pic soon of progress

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Tailor

As a tailor I find ill fitting clothes to be deplorable. I have seen way too many photos on clothing on resale websites where the clothes pictured do not fit the models wearing them. The worst are photos of clothes that are too tight/too small. This is a situation I notice especially with models wearing waistcoats. They seem to usually be too short and/or too tight. These garments are not supposed to be skin tight even though they frequently are shown that way.

First strive to be healthy, then get clothes that fit.

My two cents worth,

Christoph

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    I notice especially with models wearing waistcoats... They seem to usually be too short and/or too tight.
    It's horrid-looking, the short waistcoats combined with kilts shoved down too low, so a big gap of shirt shows in between.

I see it all the time in the pipe band world, because nearly all competition bands nowadays wear waistcoats with no jackets.

Most of the bands around here wear Higgins vests and they're offered in various lengths, but people don't bother or think about it and get them too short.

I also have to deal with the issue at work of my people showing up with ill-fitting shirts, the collars too tight or too loose, the sleeves too long or too short. Most men, it seems, aren't aware that shirts come in different sleeve lengths. They just grab whatever. And they wear their slacks too low, so the seat is all baggy and the bottoms are dragging on the ground, even if they're the right length, which they usually aren't. Oi oi.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th September 16 at 05:19 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    As a tailor I find ill fitting clothes to be deplorable. I have seen way too many photos on clothing on resale websites where the clothes pictured do not fit the models wearing them. The worst are photos of clothes that are too tight/too small. This is a situation I notice especially with models wearing waistcoats. They seem to usually be too short and/or too tight. These garments are not supposed to be skin tight even though they frequently are shown that way.

First strive to be healthy, then get clothes that fit.

My two cents worth,

Christoph
    the jacket fits ok now but could use a little filling in yet. Im finally getting back to (or close to) my physique prior to adopting our son 5 years ago.... when I was 20 lbs heavier than I am now but with a smaller waist and broader chest. I doubt I will get back to my younger cut but when I'm in a good place physically I'm planning on fine tuning the jacket to fit as it should.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post: