X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool an old highland funeral

I have been tasked by our clan president to go through our 43 some years of newsletters for a specific reason { not highland funerals } when I came across this image in our Winter 1974-1975 edition . I don't have the time right now to research the subject matter , so I thought our many historians would like to see this and tell us about its history .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old highland funeral.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	28928
    Last edited by Pegasys; 27th August 16 at 04:42 PM.
    Marc E Ferguson - IT Manager
    Clan Fergusson Society of North America
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nosce te ipsum - Dulcius ex asperis - insert wittty tri-fecta latin-ism here

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pegasys For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something not right here. The portrait looks too modern to be 1781. I wonder if the date is a typo for 1871? That would tie in with the dates of William Lockheart Bogle (1857-1900) and the romantic style of the portrait.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me that is a two drone bagpipe he has there. Which is interesting.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfraser View Post
    Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me that is a two drone bagpipe he has there. Which is interesting.
    It does indeed look to be a two drone set. Perhaps the artist copied the set that for years were owned by R G Glen, bagpipe makers in Edinburgh.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible it's a typo but if so Bogle would have been only 14 at the time of the work being done . Maybe its a rendering of an older work by another artist ? The txt accompanying the picture says 18th Century , so that would put it at 1781 ... 1871 would be 19th Century . I can see a typo in the 4 digit year but in both references ? I found a web page in New York that does art authentication https://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pa...ists/bogle.php ... maybe they would take a look at this for us and render an opinion . The people who contributed to our publication in the 70's are long gone , but I will make some enquiries now that we have a bit of a mystery .

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    There's something not right here. The portrait looks too modern to be 1781. I wonder if the date is a typo for 1871? That would tie in with the dates of William Lockheart Bogle (1857-1900) and the romantic style of the portrait.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasys View Post
    It is possible it's a typo but if so Bogle would have been only 14 at the time of the work being done . Maybe its a rendering of an older work by another artist ? The txt accompanying the picture says 18th Century , so that would put it at 1781 ... 1871 would be 19th Century . I can see a typo in the 4 digit year but in both references ? I found a web page in New York that does art authentication https://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pa...ists/bogle.php ... maybe they would take a look at this for us and render an opinion . The people who contributed to our publication in the 70's are long gone , but I will make some enquiries now that we have a bit of a mystery .
    Would be unterested to see what the art work say but from an historical dress perspective the clothes are wrong for the period they are supposed to depict (coat cut on the cross and metal buttons), especially as Highland Dress was still outlawed in 1781. Everything about it say Victorian romantic to me.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A search for the artist turned up this: http://s40.photobucket.com/user/siub...bogle.jpg.html
    It may be that this style is his mental image, and only that.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Pipes of War, by Brevet-Col. Sir Bruce Seton, Bart., Of Abercorn, C.B. and Pipe-Major John Grant.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pibrock plate .jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	28937
    http://gutenberg.polytechnic.edu.na/...-h/35314-h.htm

WOW ... waaaaay too much for me to delve into right now ... glad I turned it over to the experts

Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    A search for the artist turned up this: http://s40.photobucket.com/user/siub...bogle.jpg.html
    It may be that this style is his mental image, and only that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A whole lot of press and publishers will grab any image for their articles that seems appropriate to them. And way too often "them" are ignorant on the subject at hand.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 29th August 16 at 12:47 PM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Peter, the style of the painting is much more modern than purported.

It's my opinion that the painting shows clear influence of photography. I believe that the artist might have posed models and photographed them.

Yes the set of pipes is obviously based on the "1409" pipes, which probably were a 19th century fake:

As an aside, I met Col. Ewing when I attended the Coeur d'Alene piping school in 1982. I was told that he lived in Southern California in the 1930s and piped in Shirley Temple movies and many other old Hollywood films.

Here's a photo I took at the school. Col. Ewing is on the left (playing my pipes, WWI Hendersons) and Pipe Major Evan MacRae on the right. PM MacRae had recently retired from long Army service including the Cameron Highlanders (he was a WWII veteran as I recall) and he won the Gold Medal at Oban a few weeks after this photo was taken.

Offtopic, but Evan MacRae's image is often seen in the most random places

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=128975
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th August 16 at 06:13 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast