X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modern sporran setup with 5.11

I received two new kilts in the mail today. One was a black 5.11 TDK. I used HopShopGo to send it to Australia as there were no black ones at Military First's eBay store.

The sporran is a Maxpedition admin pouch. I also have a Chinese knock-off of that pouch which has thinner cordura but is much cheaper. The snap hooks are attached to pistol lanyard belt straps. The lanyard ring in the straps is metal, which is good. They cost less that US$3 each from China on eBay. I just cut and threw away the actual lanyards.

I think it works. I also had made a sporran chain by linking two lengths of dog choker chain using a keyring at the back and smaller snap clips at the front. To be honest though, the shiny chain with the black kilt looked a bit too blingy/steampunk-like for me, so I went with this option. As far as the sewn-in sporran rings are concerned, they feel flimsy and I would not trust them.

The belt is a "Blackhawk!" Rigger belt with stiffener so it can also double as a pistol belt. I bought that when I was in the army, but now the stiff belt just feels more secure than the plain webbing version.

Last edited by Michael A; 6th September 16 at 08:34 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Michael A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic! I modify my "things" if I feel there is room for improvement or (to fit my specs). I agree that rigger's belts are better for kilts than some webbing sold as belt material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What seller did you buy from? I like your setup. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked for it on eBay, using the term "Maxpedition Monkey Admin Pouch". The search term for the pistol lanyards was "Pistol belt loop lanyard) and scrolled until I saw one that looked like the one shown above.