X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tartan ID please

Usually I'm pretty good at figuring out tartans but this one, which I know I've seen before, has me stumped.

It was beautiful in person, such nice colours.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a new one to me too. The material looks to be of a good quality so I gess it's a new design for someone or something rather than a cheap fashion type sett. There are shades of Stephenson about it. Yet another one to record!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a new kilt for sale at the Games, no label as to tartan.

The fabric was high quality 16oz tartan, the colours rich and lovely, the kilt was a heavy handsewn one.

The shop had an interesting mix of Pakistani tat and high quality Scottish-made items, for example a rack of tweed kilt jackets for $150, some Scottish-made of nice heavy tweed, some decidedly suspicious both in tailoring and tweed.

About that tartan, I have a nagging feeling I've seen it. I just can't place it.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th September 16 at 04:07 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the Stirling and Bannockburn tartan design, but the colors have been replaced, e.g. Light blue for red, red for black, etc.

Compare to this:

Last edited by davidlpope; 10th September 16 at 06:49 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the County Leitrim tartan from HOE's Irish County tartan range:

So if I take a Scottish tartan and change the colors or add a line, it's Irish?...

Maclean of Duart:

Tara:

MacBeth:

Clodagh:
    Last edited by davidlpope; 11th September 16 at 10:35 AM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well found, County Leitim it is but in Old Colours as opposed to HoE's originals shades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	County Leitrim.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	29026

The STA's record was incorrect which is why it was not coming up on a search.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was looking through loads of tartans to try to match it I saw Leitrim but passed over it because all the Leitrims I saw had two shades of brown, and orange stripes.

I kept looking, and it didn't dawn on me that it was the same tartan with different colours.

I don't like the brown & orange Leitrim at all. The tartan I saw was lovely. It goes to show how fairly subtle colour-shifts can make or break a tartan (from the standpoint of aesthetics).

The fabric I saw had a soft olive as one of the two main ground colours, not taupe as appears in the sample in the post above.

I went through the same thing with the HOE County Cavan tartan. I saw a kilt which was beautiful, but subsequently all the kilts, samples, ties, etc I saw in that tartan weren't as nice.

County Cavan with a lovely muted appearance. The first kilt I saw in that tartan looked like this.

Here too.

But I've also seen it with decidedly orange stripes, which I don't care for.

This thing happens with House Of Edgar: note the numerous subtle colour-shifts between their 13oz and 16oz Drummond Of Perth Muted.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st September 16 at 04:47 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    It's the Stirling and Bannockburn tartan design, but the colors have been replaced, e.g. Light blue for red, red for black, etc.

Good eye!!

That hadn't dawned on me, but that's what it is, Stirling And Bannockburn Weathered, sort of.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st September 16 at 04:51 AM.