X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    So, PGCG, whatever did you decide for grad last May?
    It's this coming May actually (2017), so I'm still deciding. I will likely wear Saxon clothing. I felt that many of the responses indicated that an American wearing the Maple Leaf Tartan was as offensive to some as wearing another clan's tartan. It hardly seems worth the trouble to have something bespoke made if it would rustle even a few feathers. Pity too, it is a beautiful tartan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PGCG,
    Well, is your choice but unfortunate, IMO, that you feel that way. So many Americans, and North Americans, wearing so many tartans and USAK producing ML kilts for them. ML is indeed quite sharp. I've not mine yet, but its next on the short list. (have to get over having four to choose from already)
    Congrats on your pending graduation.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, 98-99% of Canadians couldn't tell the Maple Leaf tartan from the Princess Diana (The other 1-2% are mostly on these forums). Probably the same percentage of Canadians wouldn't know, and mostly wouldn't care, that it has been adopted (belatedly) as Canada's official tartan. As others have already pointed out, the Maple Leaf tartan has already spread far beyond Canada's borders and is used as a fashion tartan on women's clothing, purses, handbags... There was even an episode of the retro-1960s British program "Heartbeat", which aired in the last year or so, in which one of the English female characters wore a jacket in the Maple Leaf tartan. This did not lead to outraged denunciations on social media or in the press. Nor were thunderous questions about it put to the prime minister by the normally vociferous opposition parties in our parliament. I say, if you like it, wear it. You won't provoke an international incident.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Reason....

I love the Maple Leaf Tartan and the kilt Steve made for me is one of my favorites. I have a huge affinity for hockey...I love the game. Canada is viscerally intertwined with that. I roared as loudly as many Canadians when Paul Henderson scored, I sat at my grandfather's feet and watched the pride and joy of Parry Sound, I went to Vancouver for my 50th Birthday to see my beloved Bruins play the Canucks, I have hung out around Carlton Street on game night and run into the likes of Eddie Shack.

So no disrespect, at all to Canada rather a tip of the cap to the nation that has produced such a wonderful game and players. I look to the example of the 4th line grinders, the work ethic, and drive they bring. If you ever hear Shawn Thornton talk about working in the Gerdau Ameristeel Plant in Whitby and never losing site of where he came from it resonates.

So I wear it in tribute and hope that does not offend.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to seanachie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanachie View Post
    I love the Maple Leaf Tartan and the kilt Steve made for me is one of my favorites. I have a huge affinity for hockey...I love the game. Canada is viscerally intertwined with that.
    I love hockey too, best game on Earth. Perhaps I should design a hockey tartan and get my trousers in that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    With few exceptions, a tartan is a tartan. Period. Having said that, it's also a nametag. You might have to do a bit of explaining.

I know a lot of Americans sew Canadian flags onto their backpacks when travelling because they say they get a better reception. I wouldn't know whether they are right or not, but that is certainly dishonest. Is there a similarity here? You'd have to decide on that.
    Bill,

Dishonest -- yes but I can understand their logic. The American government certainly has a very poor reputation of late and during the George W. Bush administration, I know many Americans who were on the receiving end of a lot of ******** sometimes bordering on actual harassment. Some of these people could handle it in an effective manner and others couldn't enjoy their time because of the troubles. At the end of the day, I suppose wearing a symbol of Canada on your baggage could save a person nothing ... or save them from a hassle at minimum.

Full disclosure: I'm an American citizen, travel to Europe regularly, and have never worn a Canadian symbol on my person.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234