X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord Lyon, honorary Chieftain of the 41st New Hampshire highland games

I was fortunate to attend a seminar the Lord Lyon Dr Morrow gave Saturday at the New Hampshire highland games. It was informative and very entertaining. Dr Morrow seems to have a somewhat progressive view of heraldry but is not afraid to prosecute anyone breaking the law within Scotland. During the question/answer period I asked about flying heraldry as it pertains to clan societies. Specifically the flying of tartan which seems to be an American tradition. He said that even though it is not a heraldic flag, it is done with enthusiasm and pride of clan/family and he sees nothing wrong with the practice. He did state if clans want to fly heraldic symbols that the clan crest badge is certainly acceptable to be put on a flag. All in all it was a treat to see and hear the Lord Lyon King of Arms in person.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Bluescelt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if he had anything to say about the Royal Standard of Scotland being flown at some tents? I tend to see this quite a bit at games and gatherings in the US.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacEanruig For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn't see this reply. He didn't seem to be too concerned since he didn't mention it and I'm sure he saw plenty flying at the games. He is looking to streamline the petition process to shorten the waiting period.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEanruig View Post
    I wonder if he had anything to say about the Royal Standard of Scotland being flown at some tents? I tend to see this quite a bit at games and gatherings in the US.
    Lord Lyon's remit does not extend to the US, unfortunately. Unlike other copyright issues that are contained in international agreements, heraldic arms (personal logos) are only treated as copyrights if they are actually internationally registered as copyrights. The Rampant Lion is often seen even in England flying as though it were the flag of Scotland, but rarely in Scotland and only then by the ignorant (read that as 'unknowing', not 'stupid'.) In Canada there is a College of Arms that recognises the Lyon Court as its authority, but does not have the funding to permit administrative actions against the 'unknowing', although it does inform them when it knows of breaches.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens in Scotland too. Only yesterday, I drove past a renowned Nationalist and anti nuclear, anti Monarchist, anti establishment, anti-everything property. Fair enough, he is entitled to hold those views. Anyway, amongst all the Nationalist flags and anti this that and the other banners festooned around the gate and garden was a large Rampant Lion flag flying proudly for all to see! I nearly drove off the road, I was laughing so much.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th October 16 at 08:06 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I think it occurs less in our area than it once did. I think many people involved with the games have come to realize that the Saltire is the national flag and I see it displayed much more that it was 10 or 15 years ago. Lots of tshirts etc with the Rampant Lion on it though.

We Buchanans have a standard identical to the Red Lion only in Black. The one difference being that the lion has tears to mourn the loss of our last chief. It is the banner of the Clan Buchanan Society International so we only display our Black Rampant Lion flag and you never see it in Scotland at all.
    Happy Autumn as well.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna' go WAY out on a limb here, and I'll accept being told I'm wrong by those more knowledgeable but ...

I believe I read several years ago --early 2000s?-- that someone royal, perhaps HRH herself, stated something like "the Rampant Lion is now so frequently seen and used by Scots throughout the world that it has become a recognized symbol of Scotland and generally may be used as such."
    (That's sum-and-essence, nowhere near a direct quote)

Anybody else remember anything like that? Sources? Quotes? Brickbats?

/CC
    "Simplify, and add lightness" -- Colin Chapman

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot help you there CC, I have no knowledge of such a statement.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've no memory of that either, CC, but I doubt it would be HM, since these matters are always left to Lyon Court and the College.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 12th October 16 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "HRH", are we speaking of Her Majesty the Queen ("HM") who is not HRH?

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 12th October 16 at 02:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast