X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who market Gaelic attire for women

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	29099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	29100My lovely bride has been shopping for an outfit appropriate for a Scottish festival. The closest thing she found that struck her fancy was the outlander outfit shown on the cover (but not offered for sale inside) of the latest Celtic Croft catalog. What she seems to be hunting is if the style, Chemise and Over Dress Fitted Bodice. Any tips on helping in this quest. I know she has seen some items like this offered by vendors at the various fests we've been to in the past, just don't think we saved any of the vendor's cards.

So, and thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

-Cheers
    Last edited by javankrona; 18th September 16 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Uploading photos ... Again

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couple of photos of my bride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollyhighlandoutfit1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	29108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outfit2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	29109
    She purchased the bodice and shift and skirt from https://www.etsy.com/shop/AngelBodiceGoddesshttps://www.facebook.com/bodicegoddesangel/
    she has a cloak from https://www.facebook.com/cloakedintime/

We then purchased a length of fabric in 11 oz. wool from USAkilts.
    Celtic Croft http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/ has lots of accessory bits.
    Last edited by Richrail; 18th September 16 at 07:44 PM.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try some historical reenactment clothing makers, and vendor. It appears you are looking for women's fashions of the 18th century. Some will have made to order clothing, as well as patterns of making your own. Here are a few sites I have used. Jas. Townsend and son, also Smoke and Fire Company and Smiling Fox Forge.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to pabackwoodsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post please delete
    Last edited by pabackwoodsman; 18th September 16 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Double post please delete

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also some vendors on eBay who market that sort of stuff in the reenactment or ren-fair categories.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a ton of suitable sewing patterns available from the big commercial pattern companies.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither image is a correct interpretation of historically correct costume - though few are likely to be bothered by that.
    If you did want garments made in something like an accurate style then it would cost a lot to buy due to the time taken to make it, so it would be far thriftier to obtain fabric and pattern to make at home.

It would also mean that you could match the social standing of your costumes, assuming that you are going to dress as a pair from the same location - Gaelic is a modern term and it would probably mystify a scholar from the time referred to.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Neither image is a correct interpretation of historically correct costume - though few are likely to be bothered by that.
    If you did want garments made in something like an accurate style then it would cost a lot to buy due to the time taken to make it, so it would be far thriftier to obtain fabric and pattern to make at home.

It would also mean that you could match the social standing of your costumes, assuming that you are going to dress as a pair from the same location - Gaelic is a modern term and it would probably mystify a scholar from the time referred to.

Anne the Pleater
    Thank you. Im not certain she really cares so much about historical accuracy, so much as she enjoys the style of the chemise and bodice, and being able to wear it at an event where it feels appropriate like the Highland games. I think she also very much likes a nice German barmaid outfit that some German restaurants have their waitresses wear ... Not costume-y, but nicely done outfits.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This style is pretty standard among most sellers of Ren-Faire costumes. Some even offer it with the overskirt or underskirt portion in plaid. I would say most online vendors you find will offer something similar.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your wife is not bothered about accuracy then buying outer garments is going to be fine - but I'd suggest making the next layer down to get a good fit and no skimping of fabrics.

The torn into strips and gathered skirt is the most economical way to create a large skirt, and sleeves can then be created and joined onto a top from almost any pattern.

A common error is to make cuffed sleeves too short - they should be measured around the bent elbow for a comfortable fit.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast