X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dr. D...

It's a personal opinion. Smaller checked patterns don' generally look as good on big guys (50 inch waist would qualify). Have you seen the Wallace? I think that'd be a fitting subsitute for a man of your "stature".

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR
    Dr. D...

It's a personal opinion. Smaller checked patterns don' generally look as good on big guys (50 inch waist would qualify). Have you seen the Wallace? I think that'd be a fitting subsitute for a man of your "stature".
    But I don't actually look "that big"

I am a normal fellow... Honest. I have been wearing my pants in the upper 30s for quite some time now. I am not that tall and I really don't look that big. I am the victim here, I have been lied to by those trouser peddling devils. The bad part is, when I have told a few friends about the absurd measurement, nobody believes me. I think, but I am not sure, it is because I am wide. Not so much fat as wide. I fill out a doorway when I stand in it. Everything about me is large. I wear a size 13 to 15 ring... But my fingers are not fat. I have huge feet. Huge wide feet. I am built like a troll or an ogre. I am a great big tall man squashed down into a small body. My shoulders are nearly a full yard wide.

JohnAllen has seen me is person... I wonder what he thinks... If you read this JohnAllen, let me know.

Not a fan of the Wallace for some reason.

Is there a tartan suitable for trolls or ogres?

EDIT.

Remeasured. Stripped naked. (Don't faint ladies.) Measurments came out a bit different with out boxer shorts and sweat pants bunched around waste. Running tape measure around your pants like many folks say to do is not so great of an idea.

Around belly button. 48. Place where my pants actually sit... 46. Hips. 48. Can you wear a kilt where you pants usually hang from? Rocky, any "beer gut cuts?" I don't drink beer... Not in a long long time. While I could wear a kilt sitting on my navel, I think it would just slide downward. So wearing a size 36 to 38 pants actually means having a 46 to 48 inch waist?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dr. D...

If you're stuck on those 2 tartans (I love them both personally... something about red and black together), I'd go with the McAnarchist. It is the bigger of the 2.

It's tough to do a "beer gut cut" with tartan. I can do it on my Vicory kilts b/c they are solid material. When you move into the realm of tartan (and ANY Patterened garment), you have a design to deal with... hence, no beer gut cut on the tartan.

If you're getting a Philabeg, I'd measure [b]where you wear your pants. That's basically where the Philabeg (or Casual for that matter) sit comfortably. The Traditional should be measured around the naval as it rests more naturally on the hips.

Your pants companies lie to you to make you feel good about your waistline. I wear 34/36 jeans and I measure a TRUE 38. Don't feel bad... you should see what they do to women! When a woman comes in to get measured, they come to the brink of TEARS at times... "I'm not THAT fat... that's the size pants my HUSBAND wears... that tape measure MUST be wrong (I keep 2 backups to prove it's accurate)". Cruel, but the truth hurts sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tag on pants. Size 38 wide. That explains it I think. It's the only possible means that a 10 inch or so gap in the measurement could allow for.

I like the Philabeg. That's what I am going for. Most likely two of them at once. Not to wear at once, but, to get started. I am BURNING my pants once they arrive. Going to have to wear something come wash day. So a spare is required.

Crap, I am going to look like a wall covered in tartan wallpaper aren't I? I have more width then depth. Will that make a difference?

I plan to order a sporran as well. Rocky, do they make sporran straps in my size? Or uh, will I need to find a solution for that as well? And what about a belt for the kilt? I don't even own a belt. Have those for sale as well in my girth?

If you can do all this for me and keep me in kilts, I am a potential life time customer. I am the sort of fiercely loyal to a name brand sort of fella.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Talk about jonesing. I am not even waiting for the kilts yet, but, for the bloody bank. About a week or so and I will get my bank card. And then I will be able to order two kilts, a belt, and a sporran.

I may still get a wool kilt and wash it at home in woolite. How is the Highland Gray on chunky people?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dr. D

The highland grey is a blend... 65% rayon, 35% wool. It's pretty lightweight, but we usually pleat it up deep. How does it look on "big guys"? FINE. That's actually one of our more popular tartans for bigger guys.

No you won't look like tartan wallpaper. I've made kilts for guys up to size 68 (YES, that's 68, not a typo)... don't worry about it.

All of our sporrans come with a chain. YES we do have them in your size. We also have belts in your size as well. They're regular belts (1.5 inch wide) and go great with our casual and philabeg models perfect. We can hook you up head to toe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best. Customer. Service. Ever.

Going to have about 500 dollars or so I think set aside. Should be enough I hope, for 3 philabegs, a sporran, and a belt.

Winter is coming... Mayhap I should think of something that's a bit heavier, more woolley, thicker. I would hate to freeze my, uh, bagpipes off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDouglass
    I plan to order a sporran as well. Rocky, do they make sporran straps in my size? Or uh, will I need to find a solution for that as well? And what about a belt for the kilt? I don't even own a belt. Have those for sale as well in my girth?
    If Rock doesn't have a sporran strap that fits, you can do what I did. I bought a small chain dog collar (pomeranian size) at Dollar Tree (the dollar store) and ran it through the back of the sporran to "extend" the strap a few inches. Works well enough for me, and nobody's noticed yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12