X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Budget 5yard kilt question

I recently purchased two 8yard budget kilts from buyakilt and have to say while i did have a couple issues Rachel was extreemly helpful and fixed the problem fast. I received my kilts in 4 days which is crazy fast considering im in the US and i dont get items from USbased companies this fast.

so my question is: does anyone have experiance with the 5yard budget kilt? I know its going to be lighter but how does it wear? Can anyone give their experiance with one.

should I stick with the 8yards? I wear my kilts dailey and it's not often I trouse up.

thanks

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nkthompson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generically, 5 yd kilts have less swish but are in every other way comparable to an 8 yd kilt. They are, after all, the same thing just with less fabric.

That said, I personally prefer my 8 yarders, but wear them all about equally often.
    MEMBER: Kilted Cognoscenti

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Calico For This Useful Post:

cck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you don't mind me chipping in on the debate. Hi all btw

I only recommend these kilts for party kilts. They're really quite light because of the poly-rayon used and lack of depth in the pleats as only a 5 yard kilt. As a true kilt wearer I'd hate for you to be disappointed.

They're going to be useful for a couple of wears and I save for sporting events, and fancy dress. I have allowed people to buy when they're trying to convince themselves that they're better for warmer climates but very few people complain about the 8 yard kilts in warm climates. The 8 yard kilts certainly look most like a traditional wool kilt and get the best feedback (from myself and customers at buyakilt.com).

I hope that helps with the decision.

Rachel

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Rachel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one for running races in. The 5 yard version is better for running because it is quite literally lighter, especially when drenched in sweat, water, and/or Gatorade. I otherwise wear wool, but this one I did PV because it was destined to be beaten up, and I can throw it in the wash.

There is less swish, less pleats, lighter weight, but overall it is the same thing. I think if I wore it out, no one who didn't know kilts well would notice a difference. Based on Highland games experience, it is nicer than what the vast majority of the "this is the one day a year I wear my kilt" folks wear.

What else specifically do you want to know about it? Ask and I will let you know my thoughts.

Rob

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I truly like that the makers and sellers of kilts will post honest reviews of their products on XMarks. Without these remarks, new and current members would grope about and make unneeded purchases.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

craigclan is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Economy kilt

I bought a 5 yard second hand from a guy online and they are much lighter than my 8 yard PV kilts . Mind you it's still a great knock around kilt . There is no sway to them and the blow around a lot but it's a great kilt for the money . The 8 yard is a much nicer kilt . It hangs nicer and has some sway to it ( not like a tank but still nice ) .Great product for the money though
    live for god and you shall have life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post

I only recommend these kilts for party kilts. They're really quite light because of the poly-rayon used and lack of depth in the pleats as only a 5 yard kilt. As a true kilt wearer I'd hate for you to be disappointed.

They're going to be useful for a couple of wears and I save for sporting events, and fancy dress. I have allowed people to buy when they're trying to convince themselves that they're better for warmer climates but very few people complain about the 8 yard kilts in warm climates. The 8 yard kilts certainly look most like a traditional wool kilt and get the best feedback (from myself and customers at buyakilt.com).

Rachel

Not at all, i appreciate the feedback. I wear traditional kilts, a utilikilt, and utility kilts all equally and have never had a citation from any kilt cop lol, Im thinking of getting atleast one 5yard to have on hand. Iv been cross training and usually wear my utilikilt during this time because it takes a true beating with no complaints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalesLax View Post
    I bought one for running races in. The 5 yard version is better for running because it is quite literally lighter, especially when drenched in sweat, water, and/or Gatorade. I otherwise wear wool, but this one I did PV because it was destined to be beaten up, and I can throw it in the wash.

There is less swish, less pleats, lighter weight, but overall it is the same thing. I think if I wore it out, no one who didn't know kilts well would notice a difference. Based on Highland games experience, it is nicer than what the vast majority of the "this is the one day a year I wear my kilt" folks wear.

What else specifically do you want to know about it? Ask and I will let you know my thoughts.

Rob

Rob.
    Thanks for the input appreciate the feedback. I wear traditional kilts, a utilikilt, and utility kilts all equally and have never had a citation from any kilt cop lol, Im thinking of getting atleast one 5yard to have on hand. Iv been cross training and usually wear my utilikilt during this time because it takes a true beating with no complaints. Again thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nkthompson View Post
    Rob.
    Thanks for the input appreciate the feedback. I wear traditional kilts, a utilikilt, and utility kilts all equally and have never had a citation from any kilt cop lol, Im thinking of getting atleast one 5yard to have on hand. Iv been cross training and usually wear my utilikilt during this time because it takes a true beating with no complaints. Again thanks
    If you have any thought of running in it, I have had a good experience with my 5 yard PV for races. I do wear a belt when I run to hold it in place, as it gets a little slippy and slidey. I would imagine a utilikilt or SportKilt would probably feel better, but a) I was trying to get the best mix I could of form and function, and b) if I wanted comfort above all else I would stick with my running shorts.

I think that wool breathes better but isn't a realistic option for running in. Acrylic falls apart quickly in my experience, as the first kilt I ran in was acrylic. I think that the PV at 5 yards gets you that run ability and "almost all the way there" looks wise.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post

Rachel
    I would 'second' what Rachel is saying. For the extra few dollars, I would go with the 8 yard over the 5.

I mean, she is wearing an incredible rugby shirt, so one could never question her style or intelligence. (did we lose the Welsh flag waiving emoji???)

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast