X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleat to the sett tutorial?

I just got a great kilt and wish to pleat it to the sett, but I don't really know how to do so. Can someone enlighten me pleas? It would be greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our member *tommyred3* has a thread on pleating the great kilt. He suggests making a tutorial of pleating to the sett. There would be an interest if he (or you) did in concert after speaking (by personal message per example) to hammer out the details. I look forward to the end result.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think that such a practice is possible in a great kilt to be honest. At least when speaking historically, we have only one example of a surviving greatkilt that is set up for use of a drawstring, and the loops are set evenly.

http://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/A_H..._MacGregor.pdf

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting article Luke. I see that the "tabs" are sewn on the red stripes.

Could, while bunching the fabric together to create the pleats, a box pleat be created by gathering and folding in a manner like an accordion? I imagine increasing the number of tabs where the folds would create a sett.

I am open to discussion on this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it could be set up to be box pleats or knife pleats to the left or right.

Actually they would be more gathers than pleats, or if your a maker of curtains, perhaps cartridge pleats

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    I do not think that such a practice is possible in a great kilt to be honest. At least when speaking historically, we have only one example of a surviving greatkilt that is set up for use of a drawstring, and the loops are set evenly.

http://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/A_H..._MacGregor.pdf
    I've been researching how to pleat to sett and you have to make your pleats slightly longer than your sett. That involves to much measuring for a great kilt IMO. I am using the Baird tartan which has a purple pinstripe. I think I'm going to pleat to the stripe so the purple is exposed. I think that'll look pretty cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the pull tabs just speeds up the pleating process. I don't believe you use them to create the pleats. I may try it tho.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to make box pleats you need to draw two tabs together and then have a space, two together and then a space, all across the back.

If the drawstring was threaded through two loops and tied in an overhand knot as required that might do the trick.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the drawstring tied around the waist, you could then have your attendant set the pleats which ever style you wished prior to putting on the belt.

Same if you had belt loops sewn on the outside, vice a drawstring on the inside.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I imagine Derek, is to speed the donning of your kilt with aid of the sewn-in tabs. I think you should be able to pleat to the stripe, using the cord (belt or sash), as you gather the material about your waist. Having the purple stripe dominate sounds nice.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post: