X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Tartan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carolina Tartan

I was going to post to a thread @figheadair started about where to find Carolina tartan, but it is locked. This is the thread => http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-wanted-89347/. Is there still interest, among the Rabble, in commissioning a run of this beautiful tartan?
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    I was going to post to a thread @figheadair started about where to find Carolina tartan, but it is locked. This is the thread => http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-wanted-89347/. Is there still interest, among the Rabble, in commissioning a run of this beautiful tartan?
    Alan, as luck would have it, I am considering a custom-run of Carolina tartan right now. I'm in discussion with Lochcarron, who had the most reasonable price. Most likely it would be woven in a muted color scheme, since I already have a kilt in the WOB colors.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carolina Tartan

I am very interested, in whatever variant of the official Carolina Tartan!

My Scots heritage comes directly out of Mitchell County and I have been waiting a while for this opportunity.

Please keep me in mind and you can count on me for at least enough for a 8 yard knife pleated kilt.

Aye,
    Craig
    “Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt”—Mark Twain

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please also take note of an article published in The Scottish Banner, March 2005 and written by our own Matt Newsome.
    Here is an excerpt.

"I will give one final example that I deal with frequently, being a native of North Carolina. Both the states of North Carolina and South Carolina have an official tartan. They share one, in fact — the Carolina tartan, designed by Peter MacDonald in 1981. In 1991 it was formally adopted by the State of North Carolina, and in 2002 South Carolina also adopted official legislation naming this their state tartan. This truly is an official tartan.

But in 2003 a company in Scotland called International Tartans launched (among others) a North Carolina and a South Carolina tartan. Neither of these tartans have any official approval by the respective states, but this fact is not disclosed in their promotional material. The International Tartans web site states that the tartans are “registered… for the sons and daughters of the state…, their heirs and successors, and all those people who are granted association with the state.” While they do not explicitly claim that these tartans have official sanction, such is heavily implied. Most people do not realize that simply being registered (“recorded” would be a better word) with organizations in Scotland does not make a tartan official. Also, it is uncertain what is meant by those “granted association with the state.” Does a driver’s license suffice?

David McGill, the designer of these tartans, states that he “issues a Certificate of Right and Obligation in his capacity as Custodian of the designs and appoints the bearers (and wearers) of the tartans and checks Armigers.” The words are impressive, but mean absolutely nothing. No one can appoint an Armiger in Scotland except the Lord Lyon, and the term has no relevance in regards to tartan. Is it any wonder that people mistakenly believe these tartans to be official when such language is used? And all the while disservice is done to the actual tartan approved by the states.

Again, those who wear tartans should feel free to wear any tartan they like. And those who weave tartans should feel free to create new designs. But many people, discovering their heritage for the first time and new to the “tartan scene,” will take words such as these for gospel. Honesty and integrity demand that we not mislead those who would carry on our noble traditions.
    "
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, I am looking for the official, Peter MacDonald designed, Carolina Tartan.

I would love to have a kilt in the WOB color scheme of this tartan, but that looks to be not in the offing.

Would any of you gentlemen have a close approximation of what a muted Lochcarron run of the Carolina Tartan might look like?

At any rate, this is something that I've been looking forward to for sometime -- thank you for taking this on. I wouldn't know how or where to begin.
    “Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt”—Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Peter (figheadaire) is busy a custom run is possible with a minimum of 11 meters.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colors would be similar to this:

The only real difference between these colors and the WOB are that the green and scarlet are lighter and more muted. To my eye, it offers better overall contrast than the standard WOB shades.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 6th October 16 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to organise a run in WoBN shades if there is interest - please PM me.

The shades David has settled on are nearer to the mid-18th century ones of this early (earliest?) specimen of Prince Charles Edward. The exception is the proposed shade of green which is closer to some of Wilsons' early specimens.

I would not call the red shade scarlet, in Wilsons' terminology it's closer to what I believe was their madder.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

Thanks for your post. If there is a greater preference for the WOB shades, then I'm happy to put the muted version on hold. I'm in a unique position where I already have a Carolina tartan kilt in the WOB colors.

Guys,

Below is a photo of my kilt in the WOB colors. Would you rather go with this color variation?

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carolina Tartan, Wilsons of Bannockburn

As much as I like the idea of a muted color way of the Carolina Tartan, David your kilt photo has won me completely over to the WOB colors. Along with that brown tweed jacket, looking very sharp!

Peter (figheadaire) I'm ready to commit to that project--PM to follow.

Thank you all.
    Craig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast