X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted on the Queen Victoria

At present I am enjoying the fourth day of a seventeen day cruise around the Med on Cunard's Queen Victoria.
    Last night was the first formal night and obviously I was wearing full highland costume, as per usual with every kilted person, the compliments were many, especially from a Texan and his wife who said that the only reason he did not bring his kilt was because of the vast travelling distance, I said that was a pity as I could see that he would have love to have been wearing his kilt. I suppose we all love being complimented on wearing the kilt.
    Later on in the evening an elderly gentleman with a Yorkshire accent approached me and said " Where is your Aberdeen terrier?" , I just looked at him, he next said " Or where is your Scottie dog?". Again I just looked at him in disdain and walked away.
    Its always a pity that at times we have to put up with idiots like this when kilted.
    Anyway between now and the end of the cruise there is still three formal nights left.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have asked him where his Yorkie was.....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible that the key word is "elderly"?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jimmy. What an opportunity sailing the Med; sounds like you're having a great time. My wife and I did a cruise to the Caribbean last February and I wore my kilt to the formal dinner however, I was the only one on board that wore a kilt. As is typical in these situations, I got a lot of attention and many compliments but, what was not typical, I didn't get any of the usual comments or snide remarks about dresses or what was underneath; quite refreshing indeed.

Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

We were on a ship called Carnival Victory.

Nile
    Simon Fraser fought as MacShimidh, a Highland chief… wrapped and belted in a plaid over the top of his linen shirt, like his ordinary kinsmen. He put a bonnet on his head, and stuck the Fraser emblem, a sprig of yew, in it. With the battle cry, A'Chaisteal Dhunaidh and the scream of the pipes, they charged to battle. "The Last Highlander" Sara Fraser

8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Nile For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nile View Post
    Hi Jimmy. What an opportunity sailing the Med; sounds like you're having a great time. My wife and I did a cruise to the Caribbean last February and I wore my kilt to the formal dinner however, I was the only one on board that wore a kilt. As is typical in these situations, I got a lot of attention and many compliments but, what was not typical, I didn't get any of the usual comments or snide remarks about dresses or what was underneath; quite refreshing indeed.

Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

We were on a ship called Carnival Victory.

Nile
    Great pic of you and your wife, Nile, just love that atrium part of the ship, looks fab.
    Only problem on board is that soon the only clothes I will be able to wear will be the kilt, at least you can move the belt holes.
    You end up eating for eatings sake especially when its a day at sea.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabulous

You two look fabulous. And you've blown her socks off!!

I'm definitely packing kilt for my next cruise.

Too bad I can't bring my Shiba...

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ibrew4u For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    ... or his pit Yorkie ")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Yes Liam, tomorrow night is the second formal night so if I bump into this Yorkshire man again , I might just tell him what to do with his yorkie!
    Anyway tomorrow night's showtime is the Scottish entertainer, Allan Stewart, I have seen Allan a couple of times on cruises and he always packs them in with good clean all round entertainment.
    Allan has for the past twenty years or so filled the King's in Edinburgh during the Xmas pantomine season playing to packed houses.
    So kilted tomorrow night but I spotted another three or four kilties at the first formal night so I am not alone.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Only problem on board is that soon the only clothes I will be able to wear will be the kilt, at least you can move the belt holes.
    You end up eating for eatings sake especially when its a day at sea.
    Trust me, I was definitely holding my gut in for the picture. The food was plentiful and good and we did eat (and drink) more than usual. Interestingly, there was a Scotch Whisky tasting one evening in the 'Duty Free' store which I participated in. We were able to taste approximately a dozen single malt and blended Scotches and, as a participant, received a voucher for 10% off any Scotch in the DF store. I purchased a 20 year old Glen Deveron single malt with it.

Nile
    Simon Fraser fought as MacShimidh, a Highland chief… wrapped and belted in a plaid over the top of his linen shirt, like his ordinary kinsmen. He put a bonnet on his head, and stuck the Fraser emblem, a sprig of yew, in it. With the battle cry, A'Chaisteal Dhunaidh and the scream of the pipes, they charged to battle. "The Last Highlander" Sara Fraser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Formal night last night and I am dressed in my black shadow kilt, restaurant is so warm, suddenly as I get my first course I begin to feel queezy, ready to throw up, a quick exit back to my cabin or stateroom as Cunard like to call them and then I throw up.
    I had been lying in the sun too long that afternoon, from Scotland so not used to the sun. Nevertheless a couple of hours sleep saw me ok and I was back up to see Allan Stewart in cabaret at half past ten, kilt back on and again a number of compliments as we xmarkers love.