X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The West Highlands of Scotland

My wife and I have been away for a week in the West Highlands.
    Castles featured prominently in our travels.
    Just a short walk across a footbridge over the River Lochy from our accommodation at Fort William was Old Inverlochy Castle, a Comyn stronghold dating from 1280.

Kilchurn Castle, situated at Loch Awe is worth the trek. A Campbell household for many years, it was damaged by lightning in 1760 and abandoned soon after.

The must see for the tourists however is Eilean Donan Castle, which I had not been to before. The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae. In the early eighteenth century, the Mackenzies' involvement in the Jacobite rebellions led in 1719 to the castle's destruction by English government ships. Lieutenant-Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap took charge of restoration over a twenty year period early in the twentieth century.

Eilean Donan is in such a beautiful setting at the junction of three sea lochs

From Eilean Donan Castle is only a few minutes drive to the Skye Bridge. The Isle of Skye beckoned and later that day we enjoyed the sunshine at Broadford Bay.

A trip to an island should of course include ferry travel so we returned by taking the Land Rover on the Kylerhea to Glenelg ferry

The ferry seen here from Glenelg setting off across the Sound of Sleat on its return trip to Skye.

We also visited the Isle of Mull, including Tobermory with its colourful houses. Do visit the chocolate shop on the sea front, the hot chocolate drink is one of the most delicious I have tasted.

More to follow shortly.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 14th October 16 at 01:43 PM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've a gift with both the camera, and the subjects at which to point it!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt Spotting at Achallader

The Glencoe Road

Loch Morlich, near Aviemore

A trip on the funicular railway to Cairngorm Mountain

Fort Augustus, by the Caledonian Canal, in early evening with Loch Ness in the background

On the final evening we met Jock Scot for dinner at the Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel overlooking Loch Lochy.

A morning coffee stop at Oban Airport on the way home where I spotted a Cessna Skyhawk which I used to fly from Carlisle. G-BLHJ has been repainted from blue and white to red and white since my flying days and made a fine sight against the scenic backdrop of the mountains on the Isle of Mull.

Final call on the way home, Inverary, where a bottle of Glen Rothes Speyside single malt was purchased.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you picked the best week, weather wise, of the year Alex. Thank you so much for the dinner and the splendid company of your good self and Gabriele(sorry not too sure how to spell the name ) at the Letterfinlay the other evening.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th October 16 at 02:22 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Jock, Gabriele is the correct spelling.
    It was great to meet you again last week and a most enjoyable evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    We also visited the Isle of Mull, including Tobermory with its colourful houses. Do visit the chocolate shop on the sea front, the hot chocolate drink is one of the most delicious I have tasted.
    No doubt it is liberally laced with a suitable Scotch? Thanks for the excellent photos, Alex.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, Alex!

I'm a fan of the Inveraray Whisky Shop's House blend. Hope you got to try a wee dram.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, we loved Eilean Donan castle when we were in Scotland. Brought back some wonderful memories looking at your photos.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos Alex and I'm glad you both had such a great week. I've been to many of these places and I always find Inveraray and Eilean Donan enchanting locations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast