X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Machine washing -- my experience

Bought my 4 yard box pleated kilt used in 2009. Guessing it could have been 2 to 3 years old (at least) at that point so maybe it's 8 to 10 years old and definitely looking like it could use a general cleaning. Contemplated dry cleaning it before reading elsewhere here that some had tried machine washing with good results. Add me to that list -- absolutely great results. Machine was a front loader on Gentle cycle. Kilt was placed in a nylon laundry bag. Detergent used was Woolite "gentle cycle" which I used too much of and hand to repeat a Rinse + Spin cycle 3 times to get all the soap out. (A little goes a long way with that stuff!) It looks and smells so much nicer now, but does need to be pressed. I had reservations about dry cleaning and glad I went with machine washing instead.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Raibeart MacKee For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met new member. Good to have input on techniques I haven't tried (I'm a hand wash fellow). Let us know if you need to press the pleats back into shape, and if so, how that goes for you. Welcome to the boards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good call on the Nylon bag - when washed without protection the edges of the pleats are subjected to excessive wear in a washing machine and it shortens the life of a kilt considerably. I have used pillow cases with the end tied with tape.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the machine one of the new HE models? I hate mine because there is no practical way to control the spin. They really beat up the clothes.

With the older machines, I could remove a woven wool item while it was still quite wet, then put it on a hanger and straighten the grain and pleats by hand, then let the garment air-dry. Knitted wool items, of course I block those.
    Ruadh gu brath!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to room2ndfloor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by room2ndfloor View Post
    With the older machines, I could remove a woven wool item while it was still quite wet, then put it on a hanger and straighten the grain and pleats by hand, then let the garment air-dry. Knitted wool items, of course I block those.
    Forgive my male ignorance, "block" them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blocking

Blocking is what is meant when a label says "air-dry, flat." To block a knitted item, you blot it gently with a towel, without twisting. You then spread the damp knitted garment onto a horizontal screen, patting the knit and stretching it into its original shape. The knitting is then left on the screen to air-dry at room temperature.

The reason that wool knits are never to be hung to dry is that their own weight will distort their shape, sometimes permanently.

Since I knit a lot, I also have a lot of experience with blocking.
    Last edited by room2ndfloor; 18th October 16 at 11:25 AM.
    Ruadh gu brath!

10. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to room2ndfloor For This Useful Post: