X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crest Badge for Clan Gunn

I have been in touch with John Gunn the Younger, son of the Chief, regarding the Clan Gunn Crest Badge. John says the question of whether the badge would be changed, since Iain's badge is different from that of the one traditionally used by clanspersons, was discussed at length by the Lyon and Iain. It was decided that the badge for the rank and file would not change. There are two reasons: 1. Iain did not want the clan or its members to go to the expense of changing the badge; 2. the crest on Iain's arms is stylized and it was not felt there was a true need to make any changes.

My personal observations of changes in crest badges by manufacturers, even if the chief's badge is changed, is that they don't, preferring to use the same patterns and dies that have been used, probably as a cost savings.

So, no need to get your tats removed and replaced or your bonnet badges either.
    Last edited by MacRob; 27th October 16 at 07:53 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacRob For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information. I'm hoping to attend the Clan Gunn Society AGM in London on the 25th Nov and was wondering if that would be mentioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old news but I just enjoyed watching the investiture of the Clan Gunn Chieftain...very smart ceremony and belated congratulations on the event.
    De Oppresso Liber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a related Question...

I recently had a tartan woven of the Manson sept (my branch). Is it appropriate to wear the Gunn crest/badge with the Manson tartan kilt? I really like the Gunn crest/badge and I would not want to go without it while wearing my Manson kilt. TIA
    Regards,
    Tom

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure Tom...

There are quite a few folks who wear Wilson tartan with their Gunn crest badge and it is perfectly appropriate. Henderson used to be worn quite a bit, until they found their chief and formed a very active clan society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
    Sure Tom...

There are quite a few folks who wear Wilson tartan with their Gunn crest badge and it is perfectly appropriate. Henderson used to be worn quite a bit, until they found their chief and formed a very active clan society.
    Thanks for the feedback Lin.
    Regards,
    Tom