X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfraser View Post
    Indeed, there were vast differences between the 1920's and the 1970's. I know in the 1970's it was possible in some Scottish schools to obtain recognised qualifications in Gaelic.
    Indeed, you can get a Scottish Certificate of Education ( I believe now called Scottish Qualification certificates) in Gaelic Native Speakers, or Gaelic Learners, the same at Higher level at school and then go all the way to a University masters degrees in Gaelic studies.
    My brother, I don't know which certificates he has, but he learnt Gaelic amongst the kids at primary school in the outer Hebrides so was both a native speaker having learnt it colloquially in the Hebridies, and a learner being an English born outsider.

Unfortunately as I was older, after a time at school in the Hebridies, they realised I was a fish out of water being unable to converse with the local kids who spoke Gaelic most of the time in the playground, and also that school was very behind in it's education. The council then sent me to Inverness to school for exam level education, where all the kids spoke and were taught 100% in English, Where even other Pupils, Gaelic speakers from the Hebrides or west coast mainland, 90% of the time chose to speak in English between themselves.
    Had I been able to Speak Gaelic then I would probably have gone to the Nicholson Institute in Stornoway for my Exam level education. http://nicolsoninstitute.org/
    Last edited by The Q; 10th November 16 at 01:10 PM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627