X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonnet Pattern

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Todd for the link again. I was looking for it last week and couldn't find it.
    Do you think it would be successful made in light garment weight leather?

A friend wants a beret style cap in leather and your pattern came to mind due to the shaping in the pattern pieces.
    Leather, industrial sewing machine, thread and other bits & bobs are all in our combined stashes so no issue there.
    I'm just wary of cutting into the leather and can't think of a suitable fabric to use as a muslin.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a light leather should be fine. I did this one out of a hunk of ultrasuede upholstery material which I found in the bargain bin at the fabric store. It's not real leather, but it's at least as heavy as a lot of garment leather. Real leather would also be somewhat mold-able as well for shaping purposes.

Next for me will be a waxed cotton shell (like Barbour coats have) probably fleece or wool lined. I tried one but I was messing around with the pattern piece shapes and it didn't fit me once it was done. I have an Inverness cape started from the waxed cotton and a hunk of wool to line it with so I might as well make a matching tam.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much Todd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12