X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonnet Pattern

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bonnet Pattern

It's been a few years since I have seen this and I couldn't find the old posts, but I found this link to a sewing pattern for a bonnet. I have followed these instructions with great success.

Link: http://www.troop7.net/Resources/7.%2...0construct.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Some days you're the bat, some days you're the watermelon.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mikilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes this is a great pattern, Ive made a couple of bonnets for myself. Easy to follow and makes a great bonnet with the right material. Below a photo of one I made with some vintage (1956) tweed.

I also have a copy of this same pattern on my server for people to download and use. I didn't see any copyright on it so I just uploaded it and am passing it on.

http://members.socket.net/~trailrun/...0construct.pdf
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the blue toorie in that article Mikilt. With brewerpaul's stamp of approval, I maybe making my own. I am leaning toward a forest green with a black toorie.

Thanks gents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the same pattern with success.

It is very easy to follow and modify. I added a rayon lining by simply using the same pattern again and sewing a bit wider seam allowance on the outside circumference and then trimming it back. Lining the band requires you to make it just a shade longer to make up for the extra material.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also used that pattern but in leather. Makes for a great rain day tam.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're kind of fun to make and cheap enough that they can become rather habit forming but still remain comparatively harmless. Here is the pattern I developed a few years ago and use (the file listed as Balmora.pdf in this folder).

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/

There is also a step-by step photo spread of making one here:

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/To...?sort=9&page=1

If you use the pattern, it's smart to try one on scrap fabric first to see if it fits you, as the sizing is approximate. Also, the pattern (and about half of my bonnets) are tilted off to my left, unlike the normal, tilt right orientation. This is because the right-tilt ones tend to bump the ladder sight on my old Sharps target rifle if I'm wearing them. Flip the pattern over when cutting pieces to make a "normal" bonnet.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I need to try my hand at one, just add it to the pile of projects, its insurmountable anyway!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered about these patterns. Might there be some advantage to making the opening more oval than circular? Heads aren't round.

Errol Flynn, in the film Master of Ballantrea wore a very jaunty bonnet that appears to made along these lines.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I did. The tops of mine are an oval which has been stretched a bit off to one side of its centerline. For the underside, instead of using a doughnut-shaped piece, the assembly is made from three pieces and is quite asymmetrical, making a very lopsided oval construction. It is also slightly cone-shaped, rather than flat. I haven't tried a bonnet with the other type of pattern, but when I designed mine it just seemed like the "disk and doughnut" style wouldn't yield the shape I wanted.

My latest experiment was to try one with lovat blue tweed wool and a tartan band, somewhat similar to dicing. I wasn't sure how it would look, but there was only one way to find out. I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I like it, but it came out better than I thought it might.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that style of bonnet but having no tailoring skills I bought one of these:

Tam2.JPG

It was sold as an officer's TOS and is larger in the crown than the current RRS pattern. It is a nice fawn, as shown, rather than khaki.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast