X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great, Becky!
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Becky,
    Great looking kilt that fits the scout uniform perfectly. I would have thought that this came from the scout shop -pants, shorts, kilts as options. It makes sense to me. Having been in scouting for many years this would have been a great addition.

I love the belt. What a great piece for a Historian's uniform. But for most scouts I would like to see how this kilt would look fitted with the standard issue scout belt. I bet it would look pretty sharp!

Great job!
    Marty
    Former Scoutmaster
    "The fun of a kilt is to walk, not to sit"

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Woodsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Congrats to your son as well on his next step of the Trail to Eagle.

AnthonyW
    Eagle Scout
    Sachem - Mic-O-Say

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AnthonyW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking kilt and Scout!
    I think it looks better than the regular uniform!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all! And a pic

[QUOTE=McNeil;1330203]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckyinma View Post
    Hi Everyone,

The young man looks truly great in his kilt. He has my support from this Eagle Scout. One if the 12 laws is a Scout is Brave, as in "Scotland the Brave." Mom and son can both be proud of each other.
    McNeil
    Thanks McNiel!

His motion was approved at the last meeting and he wore it to the Veterans Day service at the town offices and was greeted heartily by a state police piper in kilt who was wholly surprised to see another brave soul in kilt on a very blustery day. Lol. Then this evening he wore it in front of a hundred scouts and parents and accepted his Life Scout rank at the court of honor banquet. Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement!!! I am very proud of him.

image.jpg

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Beckyinma For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Becky,

I love the belt. What a great piece for a Historian's uniform. But for most scouts I would like to see how this kilt would look fitted with the standard issue scout belt. I bet it would look pretty sharp!

Great job!
    Marty
    Former Scoutmaster
    thank you! He loves that belt!! He has a lot of old retro stuff that was gifted to him from the widow of a scoutmaster from my hometown so he wears it in memory of him but I was thinking of ordering a modern belt too. It would definitely look sharp.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Beckyinma For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

What amazing bit of work! He looks rightfully proud & sounds like a very deserving young man!
    Did you draft the pattern yourself?? Just beautiful work!!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Flavia For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40-year Scout/Scout leader, Eagle Scout (Class of ’85) and Wood Badger (SR211-38, “I used to be a Bear”) here. Apologies for the mini-novel.

That is a fine-looking kilt and your DS wears it well. It’s good that he sought the permission of the PLC and Scoutmaster beforehand. I don’t want to discourage his kilt-wearing and I don't want to start a discussion on XMTS about whether the BSA should or should not allow them , however, the kilt is not part of the regulation Field uniform as per the Insignia Guide. I hope he does not run afoul of a District or Council Executive that prefers to uphold the letter of the law.

I have read of instances where Scout leaders (all volunteers) have been turned away by professional Scouters (district/council staff) from district and/or council events for not wearing the Field uniform (the khaki/tan shirt with all the patches/badges on it and green slacks or shorts) correctly – not for having badges out of place, but not wearing the complete uniform as described in the Insignia Guide. The one event I remember particularly was for wearing an inappropriate mix of clothing (particularly camouflage, especially military-pattern, regardless of the era or manufacturer the camouflage comes from) and there were members of the press and the general public in attendance.

There are Venturing Crews in the Boy Scouts of America that have chosen tartan kilts as a uniform (Venturing Crews are allowed to choose what they want to wear as a regular uniform for their unit), but from what I have heard by word of mouth, even they are encouraged to wear the suggested Venturing uniform – the dark green shirt and grey/taupe slacks or shorts – when at events with other units. It might be better for your DS if he keeps his kilt-wearing to camping trips, hikes or other troop-level events where the uniform is more relaxed (or non-existent).

The Boy Scouts of America does not have any ethnic heritage clothing – other than Kente-cloth patterned neckerchiefs, which are optional uniform items – as part of the Field uniform. The only Scouting organization I am aware of that does allow the kilt is the British Scout Association. From what I understand from reading their guidelines and speaking to some British Scouts (from both Scotland and England), only Scouts from Scotland or with Scottish heritage are allowed to wear kilts as part of their uniform.

For myself, I have been informed – by more than one council staff member and on more than one occasion – that I should not wear a kilt with my Field uniform shirt unless I am piping for an event. (I happen to be a piper and have piped for Wood Badge courses, summer camp closing campfires, reveille, taps, and a couple of Scouter’s funerals, wearing my Scout field uniform shirt and my Scott Red kilt.)
    John

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinburn

Just saw this.....Looks absolutely awesome! I have been very disappointed to see how the scouting uniforms in Canada have lapsed so much. You often see them out wearing jeans etc. with their uniform shirt, which is a far cry from the pride we took in kit we wore back in the "day" (short pants and Stetsons). Thanks for sharing...Fabulous Job!
    Canadian Member

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kinburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EagleJCS said it all re the BSA in the US. The only proviso is that the circumstances where uniform is actually required are quite limited, and on other occasions a scout shirt worn with non-uniform trousers, or with a kilt, is OK.

The Scout Association, which is the UK body, allows kilts as uniform, but with complicated rules that depend upon the scout or leader's ethnicity and the location of the unit within the UK. I think Irish ethnicity allows me to wear a saffron kilt only. Scottish ethnicity lets you wear your clan tartan or the scout tartan outside Scotland, but AFAIK you can wear any tartan in a Scottish unit whether you are of Scots descent or not. And I'm pretty sure the rules are more complex than I can recall. I think I posted them in another thread at one time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12