X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew MacKillop View Post

The laws we have are left broad for a reason, so that Police can use common sense and only disarm actual dangerous people. Common sense is not a virtue that every police officer possesses in the same measure, and when that is added to the unfortunate racial profiling prolific in the police force, you get situations like this one.
    Reminds me of the joke: "Tell me officer, at what time during your training is the brain removed?"
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew MacKillop View Post
    Fun idea, but we can't even get our police to wear their uniform pants. They've been having a labour dispute for several years now, and have been wearing various camouflage military pants ever since. Even though they've earned the term "clown pants" because of it, they remain out of uniform.
    Matthew, thank you for this bit about the labour action. It provides helpful context for a clip I saw of Mayor Codere who asked the question "where they [the police officers] wearing clown pants?" I was unaware of the political undertones in that remark.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 48HofC View Post
    Under the rules of the Directorate of History and Heritage of the the Canadian Forces, ALL military pipers are to wear a sgian dubh unless it goes against the rules of the organization, ie; regiment,squadron, etc. I have never heard or seen of a military piper in the CF while in uniform getting harassed for a sgian dubh. Getting a tattoo of one because of being hassled is a bit of a stretch.....
    While it may be ok for military pipers to carry a sgain duhb, he was not there as a military piper.
    He was sitting in a public square at the time. He was on break from a civilian piping job that was a couple of blocks away.
    He was not wearing the BW kilt, but the university tartan. He had not his pipes with him nor even his wallet or military id.
    Apparently one of the police was ex military as well.

One thing to take into consideration is that there was a stabbing the weekend before this happened and 2 others in October so it is possible that the police were told to crack down and enforce the by-law (which you can read here)

The by-law clearly states "without valid reason".
    The police have clearly said that playing in a parade is a valid reason and they won't be hassled.

I was wearing mine all the next week to pipe at different remembrance services and in schools and was never hassled, I was even standing beside police at these events and in some of these cities the by-laws against carrying are even tougher with bigger fines. But I do know that every time I step out of my car or house with my sgain duhb on that I do risk getting a ticket. That's why my father's sgain duhb is always left at home.

I know Jeff, he's a great guy and he is fighting the ticket. I hope he wins

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Randy McIntosh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, how clear things become when all pertinent facts are revealed. Thanks, Randy.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy, you are quoting me out of context.....that reply I made hade to do with CF pipers not wearing sgian dubh's or getting tattoos of them.... I never said or implied Jeff was in uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an over zealous cop who needs a lesson on highland attire. Given the strong history of Highlanders with the early days of Canada it is a shame that this is an issue.
    I realise knife crime is something that needs to be resolved, but commonsense in regards people in obvious ethnic attire should be accounted. As mentioned earlier, Sikhs generally are able to carry a kirpan in places where the general public are not permitted to carry knives.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345