X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Society has created these false problems. What I find quite interesting is the fact that we all carried pocket knives in high school, and nobody said anything about it. It was the norm for a bunch of rural people, farm kids, and there were no issues. There were no stabbings,, nobody even considered it. I've said it a million times...literally every adult male I know carries a knife, and the streets aren't running red.

Attitudes were different back in 1982, and we've since created a problem when there really wasn't one to begin with.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to 416 Rigby For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I don't mean to be obtuse Steve, but I seriously question that the SD is a weapon. Its certainly part of Scottish Highland attire and as such, is regarded as part of Scotland's National Attire . Can you clarify your thinking on this please?
    I don't think any clarification by me is necessary after all these years. Everything is spelled out quite plainly in Rule #11 and the notice at the top of this forum section.

Anyone may speak about a Sgian all they wish in this forum section.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under the rules of the Directorate of History and Heritage of the the Canadian Forces, ALL military pipers are to wear a sgian dubh unless it goes against the rules of the organization, ie; regiment,squadron, etc. I have never heard or seen of a military piper in the CF while in uniform getting harassed for a sgian dubh. Getting a tattoo of one because of being hassled is a bit of a stretch.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Who in their right mind goes onto a school campus with a knife???
    You're quite right, Steve, but in this case, the convocation ceremony was taking place at the municipal Place des Arts (Arts Centre), some distance from the university campus. McGill University normally holds its convocation ceremonies at that location. According to the story, the piper was taking a break outside the Place des Arts when he was accosted by the police officers. The story is a bit puzzling. I've personally always found the Montreal police to be far more reasonable than this story makes them appear.
    Last edited by imrichmond; 5th November 16 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think any clarification by me is necessary after all these years. Everything is spelled out quite plainly in Rule #11 and the notice at the top of this forum section.

Anyone may speak about a Sgian all they wish in this forum section.
    Yes indeed they can and thank you for reminding of that. Where I raise a question and it is a genuine question and it is; "since when has a SD been classed as a weapon when carried in one"s hose with kilt attire?"
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th November 16 at 11:21 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who in their right mind goes onto a school campus with a knife???
    I do carry a SD as a visitor to local schools and so do the kilt wearing parents(there are not that many!) at the local schools. I am not aware that any of us would consider doing otherwise.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th November 16 at 11:53 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I respect the local laws, but I think the police could have been more understanding by giving the piper a warning if he removed the sgian dhu to his car.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cave in. I'm ordering a Sgian Brew. I can't wait for some stupid cop to challenge me on my flamin' bottle opener!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really have no need for a blade in my sock. So this is what I use if I am dressed in a way that needs a Sgian.

It is not a Sgian Dubh - - -

It is not a Sgian Brew - - -

It is, - - - wait for it - - -

A Sgian Shoe - - -

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I cave in. I'm ordering a Sgian Brew. I can't wait for some stupid cop to challenge me on my flamin' bottle opener!
    I collect bottle openers, so I had to have one and wear it with my kilt most of the time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast