X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tartan4less

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    So, other than the explanation, what's the resolution?
    He offered to take a return. He also said that if I want to keep it, he'd refund shipping. I declined both. Honestly, an Isle of Skye was in my future anyway and so was a five yarder. I got this new kilt for less than I would have paid otherwise.

I didn't tell him that. I just accepted his apology, forgave and let it go.

I wouldn't blame anyone else for seeking other satisfaction. My particular situation just is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Some days you're the bat, some days you're the watermelon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered an Isle of Skye 8yd ex-hire £99 kilt from Tartan4less in Sept 2014. About 2 months later I got a brand new PV 9yd kilt. I think they lost the order, but when I phoned to complain, it arrived within a few days. It is branded Clan Alba. They said it was probably made by Glenisla, but I could not pin them down to a definite.

Unfortunately a 9yd kilt without any pleats cut out on a 32" waist is a lot of kilt, too much in fact. I eventually got it disassembled and the pleats cut out and then reconstructed with stabilisation, but it is still too much kilt for my liking and weighs around 40% more than my woollen kilts. doesn't stop me wearing it though, I love the tartan.
    Last edited by tpa; 23rd November 16 at 06:20 PM. Reason: additional info.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a few that friends or customers have bought. Some were fine, others were bizarre, stitched together with no fabric cut away making the most uncomfortable garment ever. One or two were made with fabric so coarse it was unrecognisable to me and could not have come from any UK mill. It was like tartan hemp or something.

I have visited their shop and they are competent sales staff but the supply chain seems to be confused at best and much of the merchandise comes from the cheaper suppliers who supply the tat shops of tourist hotspots with imported copies. For 'price driven' customers really, definitely the budget end of the industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I found one of the Tartans4Less kilts and went through the ordering process without incident for a 40" waist Highland Mist 16 oz 8-yard tartan ex-hire. Amazingly, it made it from Scotland to California and delivered in 5 working days, which is miraculous in my book.

The questions on measurements and expectations:
    1. When the kilt is fully cinched up 100%, the interior waist measurement comes out to 42", which is 2" too big for me. When I ordered, they kindly confirmed that the waist size should adjust by 2" up or down from the ordered size. So am I measuring something wrong or does this sound like a mis-labeled size (a little white paper tag on the kilt said "Size 40".

2. I've only had a canvass kilt from Celtic Croft and a casual kilt from USA Kilts. The full wool kilt feels bulky, along with the overall weigh. It does move well, but it really feels bulky in comparison to my other two... is this a reasonable expectation for a full 8 yard wool kilt?

I've contacted Tartans4Less, and outside of this slight apparent sizing issue, they've been great to deal with so far.

I apologize if these questions come across as somewhat obtuse, but I'd appreciate any (constructive) feedback from the rabble!
    McVeigh Sept of Clan MacLean

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,

Each maker has their own way of measuring. There is no standard.

The only thing everyone seems to agree on is "DO NOT USE YOUR TROUSER SIZE".

So, with a tape measure take your waist circumference measured at the place you plan on wearing the top straps of this kilt. Record that somewhere.

Then, lay the kilt you got out flat on a table or the floor. For this let the pleats splay out at the bottom.

Then with the taps measure find the length starting at the outer apron right edge, (Were the fringe is) Measure at the level of the top strap.
    Continue across the outer apron - across the sewn part of the pleats - And stop at the right edge of the under apron. (Do Not measure the under apron.)

Record this. It should be the same as your waist circumference.

If the seller says that this is - for example - a size 40 - but the length you get measuring the kilt is 42' - then order a size 2" smaller or a size 38.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    I ordered an Isle of Skye 8yd ex-hire £99 kilt from Tartan4less in Sept 2014. About 2 months later I got a brand new PV 9yd kilt. I think they lost the order, but when I phoned to complain, it arrived within a few days. It is branded Clan Alba. They said it was probably made by Glenisla, but I could not pin them down to a definite.

Unfortunately a 9yd kilt without any pleats cut out on a 32" waist is a lot of kilt, too much in fact. I eventually got it disassembled and the pleats cut out and then reconstructed with stabilisation, but it is still too much kilt for my liking and weighs around 40% more than my woollen kilts. doesn't stop me wearing it though, I love the tartan.
    I bought a Braveheart tartan from them, my 34 that I ordered had a hole in the apron (or so they told me, and they would re adjust a 32 for me)... When the kilt arrived, it was a size 28 and way too small. Totally put me off buying from them again it shouldn't be Russian Roulette buying a kilt when you've given them a specific size and everything. I did buy a Skye but it was an official Locharron one
    Kilted Technician!

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, I'm going to say this even though I don't really need to. Those companies who contact me and ask to become advertisers here are some of the most honest and straightforward in the world. All of the advertisers here have a proven record of providing outstanding customer service and the highest quality products.

Notice please that Tartan4less is not among our advertisers. They have never, ever, bothered to contact me. Not even to inquire about being part of the world's largest and most active on-line community dedicated to the kilt.

I'm not saying don't buy from them. I am just pointing out that with all the various stories everyone is posting, - perhaps you have your answer.

Benjamin Franklin really did say it best "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

If you really want to know about a company read what the customers say after a purchase. For example, read through some of the reviews in our advertisers dedicated forum sections. Those reviews were not paid for. Those are actual customers letting their fellow X Marks members know about the quality of the products and the level of customer service that they have received.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 26th November 16 at 06:19 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12