X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oil I use on my cedar blocks is Texas Cedar wood oil Juniperus mexicana. Seems to work - so far...
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lined my kilt closet in Vancouver with Eastern juniper, but even that's just a deterrent in that it disguises, for a while, what is most appealing to moths for egg-laying and a good start to life for larvae: wool. Moving air is still the best thing as a repellant because even the deterrent quality of aromatic cedar has a life-span. There are small balls of aromatic cedar available for those not interested whole-closet lining, but you need a lot of them. Remember cedar chests, also called 'Hope' chests? Usually lined with Spanish Cedar in the UK. Wonderful smell when they were opened.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the red cedar rings on my hanger hooks inside the kilt or coat cover bag. Keeps the cedar out of direct contact with the clothes. I sand and re-oil about twice a year.
    I have found that the redwood lumber scraps left over from my porch and that I keep on the floor of the closet will take up a lot of this oil and keep the closet absolutely reeking of cedar for a long while.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What oil are you using? I used Giles & Kendall in a previous closet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using "Something Cedar" Texas Cedar Wood Essential Oil Juniperus Mexicana. A pure Steam distillation of Texas Red Cedar. For reinvigorating all unfinished cedar wood surfaces. An 8 oz. bottle cost around $20.

For the smaller items that I do, I use rubber gloves and cotton balls to apply. Then I put the balls in a glass I keep in my wool hose drawer. Not going to throw the balls away until the oil is dead. Thinking about walls, the oil takes a couple days to soak in to the point it will not transfer to clothes that may brush against it. The slow soak means it hasn't been thinned with solvents.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    When selecting a dry cleaner it is just good practice to ask them what chemical they use.

There are currently 8 chemicals that can be used. Not all of them are available in all areas. Some are good and some are still to be proven.

PCE, Perchloroethylene or tetrachloroethylene is the old standard dry cleaning solvent. Around since the 1930's and the most common since WWII this is the one that most people know as the dangerous one as it was the very first chemical branded as a carcinogen.

Alternatives which you may or may not see are;

DF200 and Ecosolve are hydrocarbons derived from petroleum.

Dibutoxymethane going under the brand name SolvonD4 is one of the most widely use alternatives to PCE.

Liquid Silicone or D4 is more environmentally friendly but much more expensive than PCE..

Brominated solvents like Fabrisolv, & DrySolv clean faster but can damage some synthetics.

The opinions on supercritical CO2 are still coming in. Some say that it is superior to PCE in every aspect while some point to the higher cost of the machinery as a down side.

Glycol ethers like Rynex, Solvair, Caled, GenX and Impress) are becoming more readily available and have shown very good results with very good environmentally friendly effects.

Modified alcohol under the brand name SENSENE may be the best but is still not widely available in all areas.

My local dry cleaner recently upgraded their machinery. They now use GenX. The machinery cost was over $500,000.00 Canadian dollars.
    Because I missed it, what is the answer I should be looking for from my dry cleaner? Any of the above, except PCE? Or is there a preferred chemical?

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really comes down to what method your local cleaner uses. They are all effective. They are all safe for kilts with today's methods. They are all as 'green' as we can make them.

I will use the cleaner who will understand the most important thing. Do Not Press. Just clean my kilt, hang it up and let me have it back.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De-waxing of eardrums?

[QUOTE=tundramanq;1330492]I have avoided dry cleaning since I was a kid and some good family friends ran a mom and pop dry cleaning business in the 60s.
    They were both going deaf in their 40's. The doctor told them why and they added some good exhaust fans for the hanger rack room.
    The vapors were de-waxing their ears and scarring their ear drums. I

As a research audiologist with >43 years of experience, I would be remiss if I did not state that for a number of reasons, this could not be so. Were a vapor to be so strong as to actually do this, the poor person would have far, far bigger concerns. I might also add that "de-waxing" would not cause hearing loss. All this said, I have GREATLY appreciated the information you posted as well as the other info in this thread.
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mark Stephenson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got me thinking about my dad who was an artist and sign painter and died from multiple illnesses while I was in the 5th grade. He wouldn't let me go into the shop as he was ill from it and hunting another line of work. Now just about everything in there is on the toxic lists. Lead based paint, carbon tetrachloride, xylene and various other solvents and thinners. This was all pre OSHA and MSDSs.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by tundramanq View Post
    Got me thinking about my dad who was an artist and sign painter and died from multiple illnesses while I was in the 5th grade. He wouldn't let me go into the shop as he was ill from it and hunting another line of work. Now just about everything in there is on the toxic lists. Lead based paint, carbon tetrachloride, xylene and various other solvents and thinners. This was all pre OSHA and MSDSs.

Aye. All of those are ototoxic - they do not harm the ear drum, but CAN harm the inner ear and can cause hearing loss. That's just one more reason to go with something mild like the prior mention of using Ivory soap to clean your kilt.
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mark Stephenson For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast