X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An anti moth idea.

This is another idea for chasing away moths. I bought this Red Cedar Bedding at Walmart but most pet shops carry it.
    No statement as to just which variety of juniper these are made from. So I oil with juniperus Mexicana.
    I did this last January and forgot about it until now when I re-oiled the chips.

I poked holes all over the label side with a pencil.
    Then, using a small funnel poked through a about 6 of the holes, if pour about a tablespoon of my juniper oil in each.
    I clean off any oil drips that got on the outside and place it on the floor of the closet, hole side up.
    The chips have absorbed the oil and will release it slowly.
    The bag keeps the chips contained and prevents casual contact with the wool kilt from staining it with the oil.

Last edited by tundramanq; 12th November 16 at 07:21 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smells nice?

Does it make the closet and the clothes in it smell nice as well

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, if you are going to use oil extract, there is no need to put the oil on any more juniper wood. You could put it on a sponge just as well. A couple layers of paper toweling in a tupperware dish, or anything that will absorb the oil and allow it to evaporate slowly.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry - It makes the closet smell nice but I don't notice it on the bagged kilt. Maybe because I had just pulled my snout out of the closet getting a kilt.

Steve - A great idea! Taking it one farther, I will use a lidded Tupperwear or Rubbermaid container that I have punched holes in the lid of. Sliding my kilts around in the closet occasionally one comes unclipped and hits the floor. Ergo my requirement to physically separate oil from kilt in all instances.

The Bag-O-Chips I bought and poked holes in while Kathy was making my Wildcat kilt. Then I learned that all cedars didn't repel moths equally well. And then I got the oil and anointed the chips.

I read Lavender works too. It's hard to find definitive independent scientific research on the cedars or lavenders effectiveness.
    Regrettably sellers will make claims and not site how they know. It's a lot of hearsay and colloquial evidence.

Toxics like mothballs and Raid are proven effective, but as someone is going to have to wear or press these kilts sometime, it is not an option.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just test the tupperware first. Some oils will soften or melt some plastics.

Don't want a pool of melted goo all over the bottom of your closet when that kilt falls.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best to use a china dish -- some saucer that's lost its cup -- and not plastic.

Or do the organic thing. Clothes moths in the Highlands are just as damaging as they are in the US of A, but maybe we have a longer history of dealing with them. My advice (and I've yet to have a moth-hole in a long life of wool-wearing). Take your woolen garments off your warm body, spread them out on some flat surface such as your breakfast table, brush them well to get away the dust and the grime of the day, take them out into a breezy and dry place, hang them there until the next time you want to put them on. Don't fold and pack them away in a dresser drawer for some other year, or hang them cheek-by-jowl with others in a closed and dark closet.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have thought of two non plastic alternatives:
    An old aluminum cake pan that I have a plastic lid for.
    Or an almost empty candle tin with it's lid. The kind the stinky bathroom candles come in. The oil will slowly mix with the remaining wax, but, without water in the mix, I will be corrosion proof. I think my punch can handle putting generous holes in the lid.

I had heard about human skin and oils being an attractant for moths to lay eggs. I vacuum my wool and air it out before closeting it. The PV kilts and cotton blend Utilikilts get worn for 4 days ( generally in a row) then laundered before returning to the closet.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also off-load the wood shavings into a mesh laundry-washing bag (the sort you use for lingerie, keeping your socks together, etc.).

My moth-protection is usually either cedar blocks, or just a handkerchief/washcloth, with added lavender and patchouli essential oils. Don't know whether it works, but it smells good!
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intresting article from U of California on clothes moths:
    http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7435.html

Pheromone traps to trap male moths? They suggest putting them in the closet but I really don't think we want a moth attractant in with our kilts. Kind of makes me wonder if their head is screwed on correctly. I think I would prefer to detect them outside, in the room, before they enter the closet.

Pyrethrin insecticides don't leave persistent toxic residues, which makes them more suitable for clothes moth control in many cases than a lot of other products. Most flea and tick dog sprays for bedding, carpets and on the dogs coats use pyrethrins. I have and use both as my dog loves to romp in the park with other dogs.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tundramanq View Post
    Intresting article from U of California on clothes moths:
    http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7435.html

Pheromone traps to trap male moths? They suggest putting them in the closet but I really don't think we want a moth attractant in with our kilts. Kind of makes me wonder if their head is screwed on correctly. I think I would prefer to detect them outside, in the room, before they enter the closet.

Pyrethrin insecticides don't leave persistent toxic residues, which makes them more suitable for clothes moth control in many cases than a lot of other products. Most flea and tick dog sprays for bedding, carpets and on the dogs coats use pyrethrins. I have and use both as my dog loves to romp in the park with other dogs.
    I have been using these moth traps for some time now: http://www.ruskovilla.fi/EN/Products/Moths_protection

A couple of years ago I had a serious moth problem but got rid of those with these traps. I keep some two or three of them hanging in my house all the time. They say on the package that it is effective 12 weeks after opening but I keep them hanging a couple of months more before opening new ones. (I mark the date it was opened on the trap to know how old it is.)
    I have never put them in the closet. There I have some cedar blocks to keep the moths away. My idea is that if the trap is in the closet it will attract male moths in and all of them might not end in the box before finding an attractive female.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast