X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utilikilt Workman right outer pocket modification

I really like these unkillable Workmans but that right outer cargo pocket is really useless as made for my use. I think this was advertised to hold a cell phone and pencils or screwdrivers. Todays cell phones are too wide to fit that narrow center pocket.

I used to remove dividing rivets and pick out the divider stitches and fill the rivet holes that would otherwise fray with functional snaps. This means you have three snaps securing one pocket - a little excessive.

I remove the rivets with the wire cutter part of my needle nose pliers to pry the halves apart from the back side leaving the cap undamaged - without cutting the stem. The rivets are friction fit and with care can be reused. A pair of flat blade screwdrivers could be used to pry the halves apart but be careful you don't stab yourself!
    If you do mangle the stem, Dritz Jean Rivit stems can be used.
    You do need rivet setting anvil and concave faced rivet setter to reinstall.
    After picking the stitches I "plug" the 4 rivet holes using the original caps on the pocket top surface holes and any smooth rivet you like for the under panel.

The result is a functional pocket that looks original.

Last edited by tundramanq; 14th November 16 at 09:53 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post: