X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    People want to belong to a tribe, its just something hardwired in our brain.

It's what drives people, myself included, to fixate, over emphasize, pick any synonym you wish on our connection to a tribe.

With a large push by the Native Tribes of North America to take back their history, to drive out any an all who have not been living within the culture their entire lives, other tribal connections that Americans have come to the forefront. Celts of all types, not just those from Scotland are a "Safe" place where people can exercise their desire to be part of a tribe, normally without any nasty accusations of cultural appropriation.
    Luke,

Very good points. I'm still left wondering why the tribe that I (we?) pick to be associated with is that of Highland Scotland. My hypothesis is that the kilt, tartan, and bagpipes, are just to appealing to pass up. Perhaps not unlike the trend(now reversing?) of Native American tribes throughout the US to adopt Plains Indian culture (coup bonnets, etc.) and lay aside their own. The irony is that my Lowland Scots/Borders/Scotch-Irish ancestors (my tribe) were the very folks who were fighting the Highlanders (sometimes outfitted...) in their kilts and plaids.

Yet, the first of next month I will gather with other North Carolinians, many of whom are descended only from Lowland/Borders/Scotch-Irish ancestors, for our annual St. Andrew's Day Dinner. We'll all be decked out in our kilts and (fly!) plaids.

It does cause me to ponder if I/we haven't traded our natural "birthright" for an identity that our ancestors would be indignant over. Just musings...

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    It's ironic, then, that descendants of Lowland Scots and Ulster Scots in North Carolina have adopted the trappings of Highland culture (tartan, kilts, bagpipes) as a means of celebrating their own heritage.
    I came across this article recently.

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/peo...rica-1-4213493

Considering the landings and migrations pre-Revolution, it's not too difficult to see how an amalgamation of the Lowland/Ulster & Highland Scots cultures/trappings would have occurred... over here.
    Tulach Ard

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    I came across this article recently.

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/peo...rica-1-4213493

Considering the landings and migrations pre-Revolution, it's not too difficult to see how an amalgamation of the Lowland/Ulster & Highland Scots cultures/trappings would have occurred... over here.
    But the graphic from the article shows the point explicitly: The Highlanders from the Cape Fear Region (Cross Creek and Campbelltown) duked it out during the Revolution with the Scotch-Irish in the Piedmont Backcountry (and some Lowland/Borders Scots who settled there with them). Some of the Highlanders stayed after the Revolution, some went north to Canada or back to Scotland. The two groups didn't really mix, as far as I can tell. The only thing in common was that both groups tended to be Presbyterian. Very little Episcopal or RC in either area of the state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    The two groups didn't really mix, as far as I can tell.
    Maybe so. Maybe no.

Looking at just the McKenzie's for example, there are concentrations (sorta-kinda) in the Grayson/Carroll county Va. and Rowan/Salisbury NC areas. They (we?) would have appeared to follow the Lowland/Ulster migration (and are probably where the Tennessee bunch branched off from). Then there's a bunch of McKenzies in the Cape Fear/Argyll Colony region.

Hard to say. There seems to always have been McKenzies/MacKenzies on both sides of the pitch.
    Tulach Ard

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Its only in very recent times----the latter part of my lifetime----- has the kilt been accepted by some Lowland Scots. There are still places in the Lowlands where the kilt is regarded with vicious scorn.

I kid you not.

We in the Highlands often have considerable difficulty to this day, in listening to Lowlanders claiming the kilt as theirs and giving out kilt attire advice----often incorrect------ without a rather cynical smile at best and not a little disbelief!
    Therein lie the nuts of two things: 1. The reasons why many Highlanders don't wear Highland dress south of the Highland Line, even today, and 2. one good reason why the kilt is not -- by many -- worn daily in Scotland: the Lowland population is 20 times that of the Highland and much of the Highland population is Lowland or elsewhere in origin.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Therein lie the nuts of two things: 1. The reasons why many Highlanders don't wear Highland dress south of the Highland Line, even today, and 2. one good reason why the kilt is not -- by many -- worn daily in Scotland: the Lowland population is 20 times that of the Highland and much of the Highland population is Lowland or elsewhere in origin.
    Conversely Rex, many Scots in the Lowlands have Highland forebears as well as Lowland Scots, English, Irish, Welsh and others. The Highland/Lowland cultural division outwith the earlier Lordship of the Isles was also at it's most pronounced from about 1500-1800, the era when the great kilt and later little kilt developed from the older saffron robes of the clan elites, and can be over-stated today. Gaelic was once spoken in Galloway and variants of Scots long spoken in Caithness. For example most of Argyll and Bute is Highland (the geographic boundary fault line passes through Rothesay), but culturally closer to Glasgow and west-central Scotland, than Inverness and its hinterland.

In my experience as a kid in a kilt-wearing family (and although a minority there were others like us) in Lowland Scotland in the 70's and early 80's, I was often teased by some for wearing the kilt as my Sunday best or as part of Scout uniform, but it owed more to the socio-economic class of those who affected to despise it than to their cultural or ethnic origins. In the past 20 years this seems to have changed somewhat, but whether that is because my peers grew up or indicative of a deeper change I am not sure. Children and teenagers love to tease that which is different or they perceive as old-fashioned and I believe that was where it was coming from when I was younger.
    Last edited by Peter Crowe; 19th November 16 at 10:11 AM.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Peter Crowe For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree, Peter. Other than my university years at Aberdeen I've never lived in the Lowlands. At school in the Highlands I was kilted and that continued most often during my university years. My fellow students respected my choice just as I respected theirs. Children in the streets I walked to my lodgings called 'kiltie kiltie cauld bum' but that was the extent of it. (My second degree was at Manchester and after a very few strange weeks, I packed my kilt into a box and and sent it home.)

Those young Aberdeen townies were, as you say, of a different socio-economic class than I was, but they have grown up to be the middle-aged users of kilt-hire shops today. Most often they take their instruction from the owners of those shops, without having the advantage of generations of kilted ancestors. Even if their names are Highland.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sad to me as so many of you explain how the Scottish hire shops are re-defining highland wear to their own benefit without respect to tradition, history or reality.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    It's sad to me as so many of you explain how the Scottish hire shops are re-defining highland wear to their own benefit without respect to tradition, history or reality.
    It is for us, too, FB, and may explain why some of us on here crack on ad nauseum about THCD and how it is 'properly' worn in the Highlands. We simply want folks to get it right no matter where they live and have very few places where we can do so. At home we don't critique someone for wearing a belt with a waistcoat, or ghillie brogues -- we let them do it because it is impolite to do otherwise. On this forum we are asked 'how' and we respond from our personal knowledge and experience. Often, sadly, that is emphatically rejected in favour of how it is done outwith the Highlands.

Back to David's point in this thread. For those who have not done so, I suggest some heavy reading: Ken McGoogan's 'How the Scots Invented Canada'; Paul Cowan's 'How the Scots Created Canada'; Tom Devine's 'To the Ends of the Earth', Colin Calloway's 'White People, Indians and Highlanders'; Tom Devine's 'The Scottish Nation 1700 to 2000'; and James Hunter's 'A Dance Called America'.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 19th November 16 at 05:40 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rex, and I'm long since more than halfway through your excellent reading list.

I too cringe when folks ignorantly call hire dress the "right" way, but sometimes I do compromise lest I be odd man out when others will be over-dressed. I may wear a BBSB jacket when frankly my charcoal tweed would be a better choice. I dress it down through my accessories.

Again, appreciative of the reading list!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast