X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: DNA Testing

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DNA Testing

So, Mrs. Standard and I are thinking strongly of getting our DNA tested this year as our Christmas present to each other. I have a couple of questions of the rabble since there seem to be an endless list of services on Google advertising DNA testing. It looks like National Geographic will do testing for $149(US) with results in 6 to 12 weeks. I know there are tests for both maternal and paternal lines. Thanks for your help!

1. What service did you use?
    2. Would you use them again?
    3. Which type of DNA testing did you have done?
    4. How long did it take for you to get results back?
    5. Were the results presented to you in a meaningful way that you could understand without a PHD in DNA?
    6. What price range was the testing service you used?
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Family Tree DNA. Clan Donnachaidh has a program there. If you are doing the Y DNA (male line) test I would recommend the highest marker. I did 111 marker (mutations) test which is more expensive but narrows down closer matches. Even though I'm a Duncan I'm a 101 of 111 match with Clan chief Sir Malcolm MacGregor of MacGregor and a bunch of Buchanans.

The tests came 12 then 25,37,67 and finally 111 and took maybe a month. I'd use them again. They have FAQ section and explanations of the tests. I think the 111-Y test is $319 now.
    Last edited by Bluescelt; 24th November 16 at 07:28 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Bluescelt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other suggestions out there?
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have tested several family lines using FTDNA's Y-chromosome tests and NatGeo's tests.

Which test to use is really dependent on what questions you are trying to answer via DNA testing.

If you are trying to use testing to assist your direct male lineage (surname) genealogy, then y-chromosome testing is the way to go. Be warned, though, that it's not that helpful unless many others with your surname have also tested. Be warned, also, that non-paternity events are more common than most people think- so your results may or may not be that helpful in breaking down brick walls.

If you are curious/interested in your ancestral origins, then the NatGeo test or FTDNA's Big Y are the answer. This type of testing (SNP) is helpful to identify where your remote Y-chromosome ancestor originated.

I didn't see much value in the autosomal tests. Their method of analysis for ethnic origin (compare your ethnic percentage to current national averages) seems flawed when thinking about Americans and our history.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post: