X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is huge but, My brother is a rather LARGE lad. I am not the smallest guy around but he makes me look tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    It also seems to have no shaping at the edge of the apron but goes straight on into the first pleat - but that is one huge kilt.
    The tartan is rather nice. With a gentle bath and then a skilful reworking it should look splendid.

Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes this is a very attractive tartan. I have no idea if is anything other than a fashion tartan (what we use to refer to as MacBelks) but, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    It also seems to have no shaping at the edge of the apron but goes straight on into the first pleat - but that is one huge kilt.
    The tartan is rather nice. With a gentle bath and then a skilful reworking it should look splendid.

Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You ask some interesting questions. The current waist size is approximately 60", and I am about a 46"-48", so I have some room to play with. I will have wait and measure the set this evening after I get home from the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    I'm not any help, but I am interested in how this goes for you and pondering just how one might go about this (I do recall a Wizard repair project some time ago, but don't think it was a big re-size) I am guessing the current apron is about 30" at the waist. What waist size do you need to bring it down to? What is the sett size?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Stoff,

If you use your left hand and can stick it into the pleats then they are going in reverse direction to normal.

But, as you are going to be taking this apart anyway reversing is a fairly easy thing to do if you wish to. You don't even have to un-stitch the pleats. Just take out the interfacing if any, remove the steeking if any, and flop the inside of the pleats over.. Then re-baste and re-press.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 1st December 16 at 03:08 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I will be disassembling this kilt. I do not see any other way to resize it down from a 60" waist to a 48" waist. I hope that there is enough uncut fabric to be able to fix the aprons and have the pleats turn out right. Mom pleated to the set but I do not know how it will be best to redo it til I start reassembling it.

Thanks,
    Stoff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further information about the kilt:

The set is 4-1/4" center to center.
    The front apron is 23" wide.
    The distance from waist to selvage is 21-1/2".
    The sewn portion of the pleats is 6-1/2"

Thanks,
    Christoph

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23" apron. I'd have expected it to be wider to accomodate the 60" waist. From my understanding of kilt design, it is practically as wide as required for your 46-48" waist.
    Kilt makers, am I calculating that correctly? If so, it would seem to me the resize project would need to retain the inner and outer aprons with a reduce number of and re-orient of the pleats (two joins, pleats to aprons)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct Taskr, A traditionally made kilt will have the aprons slightly larger, at the top buckle, than 1/2 the waist circumference.

Assuming that you are making a full rise kilt of course.

The outer apron will then be inch wider on the right side than on the left side. The fringe should overlap at least one pleat.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I washed Mom's kilt tonight. I used our wonderful front loading machine on the hand wash cycle. I had to roll it up in towels to get enough water out of it to hang it in 4 kilt hangers. That and to stop it pouring water on the floor. When at first I attempted to hang it, as soon as I let go the kilt headed for the floor and the hangers went flying in four different directions. One even lost a clip, luckily the clip went back on. Plus water all over me and the bathroom. I am sure it looked a riot.

I am now looking forward to seeing this wool clean, oh man it was filthy, grimy. At one point in the beginning the water I that could see, through the window in the washer door, was brown.

Once more thanks to all.

Christoph

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can set up the same lighting conditions as when you took the photos in post #1, it would be interesting to see the 'before' and 'after' shots once your kilt is completely dry.

Good luck with the overall project!
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Grizzled Ian For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast