X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T90 View Post
    Well I do not see those spelling variants in the names I am in possession of. That does not mean it is not there somewhere.

In the meantime I have Kelly, McCulligh, MacCulloch, Chambers and Brown.
    Spelling is a very variable Item, William Shakespeare, spelt his name 6 ways in 4 known documents, many of the people in your documents, may not have been able to write and the name was written down as some official heard it.

Hence it is possible that McCulligh may be a variant in spelling of Mackelly, and MacCulloch of Mackelloch. ( A speaker of the Gaelic may be able to help More on that).

In an English / Irish line of my family, Rawlings (todays spelling of the nearest branch to me) has also been spelt Rawlins, Rawlin's, Rawlines, and Rawlingson
    Last edited by The Q; 6th December 16 at 06:27 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Spelling is a very variable Item, William Shakespeare, spelt his name 6 ways in 4 known documents, many of the people in your documents, may not have been able to write and the name was written down as some official heard it.

Hence it is possible that McCulligh may be a variant in spelly of Mackelly, and MacCulloch of Mackelloch. ( A speaker of the Gaelic may be able to help More on that).

In an English / Irish line of my family, Rawlings (todays spelling of the nearest branch to me) has also been spelt Rawlins, Rawlin's, Rawlines, and Rawlingson
    Multiple spellings of names is quite common. My father's mother, my connection to the Davidson Clan, had her named spelled Davis, Davys, and Davies - all on the same document! And numerous other places. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about spelling variations.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I read through documents I am starting to see that spelling variations are common.

I started searching the other half of the Scottish connection which is Gregg - Clan MacGregor (someone else from the Gregg family has already created a fantastic page of family connections which saved me a lot of time) In the documents presented the spelling of the name changes from Greg to Greig to Gregg. Very interesting indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12