X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sort of agree with Father Bill that a sporran makes a kilt look, well, more kilt-like. But as Grizzled Ian pointed out, not too many women's skirts have big cargo pockets on the sides. I did try wearing a sporran with one of my utility kilts, but it just didn't look right in conjunction with the side pockets. I'd already removed the pockets from one of my black UT kilts to wear as sort of a makeshift dress kilt prior to making my wool ones, and added D-rings to the pockets so I could attach them to my belt with sporran hangers. So after one of the pockets on my self-made denim kilt disintegrated in the wash, I wound up removing removing the pockets from my tartan utility kilts as well. Now I wear the cargo pockets to work, as a sporran would get in the way, and reserve the sporran for evenings and weekends...but either way, both together just looks weird IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threekilts.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	29531

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to always wear a sporran, if and when I'm wearing a pocket-less kilt, if only for the utility of such. I do think it completes the look, too.

If I am wearing a kilt with pockets (I have a few kilts from Verillas, too!), I'll occasionally wear a sporran, but not always. I find it more comfortable to wear one without, however if I could use a bit of extra pocket space that day, I might wear one. I have a black, leather, pouch sporran that I think goes ok with my Verillas kilts, for example, all of which have black aprons.

If I'm at work, though, and wearing a pocketless kilt, I'll usually take off my sporran. I have a desk job, and with the desks I usually use, I find that taking the sporran off lets me get a better, and more comfortable posture. I'll almost-always put it back on, if and when I go out, though.

Cheers!
    -- David L.
    Last edited by DotDLL; 5th December 16 at 08:54 AM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DotDLL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I don't own any utility type kilts, I haven't had to cross this bridge; I'll leave that decision to those who wear them.
    I will say I've seen guys who probably should have, others looked reasonably OK without.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a sporran with my tartan kilts but not with my utility kilts. IMHO, one should not have to carry a "purse" when one has ample pockets available.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Couper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all a matter of personal preference.
    I would always wear a sporran with a traditional killt but I would not normally wear a sporran with a Utilikilt.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sporran does the same job as pockets, so there is little sense in having both, but if you don't have either, where do you put your keys? It's not complicated.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to O'Callaghan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Callaghan View Post
    A sporran does the same job as pockets, so there is little sense in having both, but if you don't have either, where do you put your keys? It's not complicated.
    Spot On, O'Callaghan.
    I will for example wear a sporran when I wear a traditional/no pockets kilt to the office, but will usually remove it (the sporran that is ) while sitting at my desk simply because it's a bit obtrusive and uncomfortable. On the other hand, I usually no longer wear a sporran with my utility/cargo pocket kilts because I realised it was unnecessary and a bit redundant. And I also don't wear a sporran while playing golf--regardless of which type of kilt I'm wearing--for either reason.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank everyone who has chimed in on my question. The opinions are quite varied but I have gotten a good taste of what others feel is the way to wear a utility kilt and for that I am appreciative.

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ! I have 3 sporrans and I wear mine alot with mine..My cell and a few little things fit nicely in them...Angie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12