X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt hose on a CSM

Some of you may know that I have a hobby making kilt hose on a Hand-cranked Circular Sock Knitting Machine. (CSM)

But just what is a CSM you may ask?

Back in the days of steam engines, near the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, there were many machines made to reduce the labor of producing items by hand.
    Knitting has been around for centuries, but making socks with sticks can take up to a week per pair.
    A few companies developed machines to try to reduce the hand knitting labor. One development from frame knitting machines were circular knitting machines.

These circular knitting machines, or CSM's as they are known, really came into their own during WWI when the troops needed thousands of socks to prevent trench foot. The American Red Cross put out the call. "People, start knitting!"

Men were knitting on the morning commute to work. Colleges started student knitting groups. Industrialists converted their mansion ballrooms into knitting factories.

And hundreds of thousand of socks, mittens, hats & scarves were knit on the new circular knitting machines. They were sold door-to-door like Fuller brushes.

Today, there is a company in Cape Girardeau, MO reproducing these amazing machines.
    The Erlbacher-Gearhart Knitting Machine Co. began when the owner of a 5th generation machining business bought an antique machine at a farm auction, brought it to his shop and bolted it to his secretarie's desk. Each day a piece would be missing. The next day a brand new piece would replace the old.

Here is my first Erlbacher-Gearhart machine. Their "Speedster" model. I now have 3 of these, all different models, and most evenings you will find me in my basement apartment cranking custom made kilt hose.

I recently made a pair for X Marker Truitt to go with the Scottish Wildcat Tartan fabric he hand wove and made a kilt from.

These have a thick, double turn-over cuff. A smooth band for the garters. A fully ribbed leg. And a heel & toe method I developed from three different techniques melded together.

I have found sourcing yarns to be the hardest part of this hobby. I found a custom yarn dying shop in Vancouver, BC and currently have 12 different colors.
    I am having fun mixing and matching cuffs and legs.

I'm not looking at this as a new business venture as much as a hobby. Some day soon I will have my technique down and the hope is that I will be able to do Argyles and diced hose. Wish me luck with that.

I am really enjoying going to fiber art festivals and demonstrating these fascinating machines.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 8th December 16 at 08:32 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.