X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boot Camp Graduation - July 2017 Parris Island Recruit Depot

My son will be graduating USMC boot camp at Parris Is. in July, 2017.

I wish to kilt up for the ceremony wearing a wool kilt in USMC tartan or Macgregor tartan. It will be hot.

What do I need to know to be dressed appropriately and be comfortable please?

Any and all input welcome.

Thankee!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AdamBogle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the weight and yardage of your kilt will make little difference. I do not think it would be worth it to go for a 5 yard, or use 13oz wool, as the difference would be minimal.

You can attempt to mitigate the heat a little more by wearing a linen shirt and find a jacket and
    waistcoat in a lighter material. Some kilt hose are more lightweight that others, too, so something like the Glenmore kilt hose from House of Cheviot would work well.

I'm not exactly sure how the weather on Parris Island compares to Montreal Quebec at that time of year, but here we often see 30 degrees Celsius with very high humidity, and I've gotten away with formal wear here by simply wearing lightweight everything, besides the kilt.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mathew MacKillop For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who lived at Parris Island perhaps I can help.

The weather in July is totally, absolutely, unbearable. Hot, and humid. Similar to TN but more humid due to being on a swampy island on the coast.

In years long past now, parents would dress up for graduation. Jackets and ties for men was normal.
    Today the mode of dress is far less formal. You will see everything from jacket and tie down to shorts and t-shirts.

Perhaps one or two will recognize the Leatherneck Tartan but don't expect it to be too well known. The USMC does not have kilts as part of the uniform and no adopted or official Tartan.

Every Marine remembers his graduation day. Parents are there to honor their Marines so do him proud and dress as would be appropriate for a church social.
    Avoid overdressing as the focus should be on him and the graduation ceremony and not "The guy in the kilt".

And please pass on a "Semper Fi" from me.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 10th December 16 at 12:29 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

The weather in July is totally, absolutely, unbearable. Hot, and humid. Similar to TN but more humid due to being on a swampy island on the coast.

In years long past now, parents would dress up for graduation. Jackets and ties for men was normal.
    Today the mode of dress is far less formal. You will see everything from jacket and tie down to shorts and t-shirts.

Perhaps one or two will recognize the Leatherneck Tartan but don't expect it to be too well known. The USMC does not have kilts as part of the uniform and no adopted or official Tartan.

Every Marine remembers his graduation day. Parents are there to honor their Marines so do him proud and dress as would be appropriate for a church social.
    Avoid overdressing as the focus should be on him and the graduation ceremony and not "The guy in the kilt".

Steve hasn't said this explicitly, and I don't mean to put words in his mouth.

But for myself, as a Marine who well remembers my graduation day from OCS at Quantico: Please think twice about doing this. Your son will have been through thirteen long grueling weeks, under a great deal of pressure. What I remember most about my graduation (besides being proud of finally being a Marine) was not being able to wait until it was finished so I could get out from under the noses of the Sergeant instructors, into some civilian clothes, and have a relaxed meal off-base with my family. Had my dad shown up in a kilt I would have been very frustrated.

Be there and be very proud. But don't make it about you. Wear trousers and a nice shirt. Let your son be the center of attention. This is his day.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 10th December 16 at 01:34 PM.

8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

Yes Sir, having been there a couple of times in the past I would agree wholeheartedly

Thank you. I should be gtg with a Polo if I can get the warden to approve.

Roger that, I'm going to let him decide which tartan to use and go with that.

I wasn't planning on wearing a kilt until he mentioned it, but it's at his bequest so anything he wants at this point I'll try to do it

Yessir, I certainly will and thank you for the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Steve hasn't said this explicitly, and I don't mean to put words in his mouth.

But for myself, as a Marine who well remembers my graduation day from OCS at Quantico: Please think twice about doing this. Your son will have been through thirteen long grueling weeks, under a great deal of pressure. What I remember most about my graduation (besides being proud of finally being a Marine) was not being able to wait until it was finished so I could get out from under the noses of the Sergeant instructors, into some civilian clothes, and have a relaxed meal off-base with my family. Had my dad shown up in a kilt I would have been very frustrated.

Be there and be very proud. But don't make it about you. Wear trousers and a nice shirt. Let your son be the center of attention. This is his day.
    Thanks, He's asked me to wear a kilt, I'll ask him to reconsider and let me know when he's closer to graduation. And thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated
    Last edited by AdamBogle; 10th December 16 at 02:44 PM.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As another graduate of PI, I can say that it will be remembered as one of the most important days of his life. If he asked for you towear the kilt, and/or associates the kilt with recognition of special events, I would wear it. In any case, Semper Fi!
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBogle View Post
    Thanks, He's asked me to wear a kilt, I'll ask him to reconsider and let me know when he's closer to graduation. And thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated
    Adam,

That changes my analysis.

"Making the Corps" by Tom Ricks is a good read for folks heading to training and their families. Check it out. Ricks is a great writer.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Corps-.../dp/141654450X

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also heard, but not seen it personally, that graduations today are quite a bit different than in my day.

I grew up with a DI father. I remember when the barracks were wooden, two story squad bays. They did not have air conditioning or even screens on the windows.

When I went to boot camp myself they shipped me across the country to San Diego because my dad was still 'under the cover'. (that's marine talk for a Drill Instructor)

(I didn't go to OCS, I was commissioned in the field.)

In my day, graduations had very few parents in attendance due to the cost of travel back then and the fact that we were all going to be going off to Viet-nam. A few parents attended and they dressed up. My dad could not attend at all.

My enduring memory of my graduation was the hours in formation just waiting for it to be over. All I could think of was how much I wanted a Coke. I had not had a soft drink for 21 weeks. Once the graduation ceremony was over we all piled into buses and were taken to the airport for our first leave. I walk up to the first bar I saw and ordered a pitcher of Coke Cola, no ice, and chugged it in one long drink.

I have heard that graduations today are very much about family. They are included in the ceremony as much as possible and encouraged to attend. They actually call it "Family Day & Graduation". You may be invited to share a meal with your Marine in the chow hall, tour the barracks, and see some of the training he just completed.
    I just watched a few you tube videos of Family Day & Graduation. I did not see one man in a jacket and tie. Lots of jeans and t-shirts. A couple of collared shirts on older guys.
    Lots of older Marines with Corps ball caps. A couple entire families in matching USMC red t-shirts.

So dress and prepare to make a day of it. Enjoy it and show your pride in your son. He has just completed something that not everyone can do.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear as light a shirt and jacket as is possible. The heat will be horrendous. I understand the guest areas are more accommodating than when Steve and I graduated from our perspective military classes (back in the 70's) You'll be fine in your child's eyes because you're there for him and he's already proud of you. The USMC strengthened the sentiment.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast