X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tartan is this?

I saw this on a Youtube video and really liked the tartan. Does anyone know what tartan this is?

what tartan is this.jpg

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that is the Tara/Murphy Tartan.

ITI #1103
    Dated pre. 1967

http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart.../tara-district
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on Steve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

close, but I don't think you get the ceegar

Steve,

It is close, but the one I saw on the video has a black/white/black/white/black stripe in it. The Tara and Murphy and their variants only have the black/white/black stripe.

Who else has an idea?

Larry

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look carefully, you'll see that your pic is actually black-white-black-yellow-black. That's Tara/Murphy.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not being a jerk, just looking for clarification...

OK, the Tara sett from left to right has two vertical "stripes" of black/white/black/yellow/black and a single vertical "stripe" of red/green/black/green/red. The single vertical "stripe" in the picture is the same as the double vertical stripes, black/white/black/yellow/black...no red or green in it at all.

So, I am thinking that this is either a tartan other than Tara/Murphy OR it is a variant of Tara/Murphy. What do you think?

I just really liked this tartan and was thinking of getting a kilt made in it, but I want to be sure of the name before I ordered one.

As always, thanks to anyone and everyone for their help.

Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    OK, the Tara sett from left to right has two vertical "stripes" of black/white/black/yellow/black and a single vertical "stripe" of red/green/black/green/red. The single vertical "stripe" in the picture is the same as the double vertical stripes, black/white/black/yellow/black...no red or green in it at all.

So, I am thinking that this is either a tartan other than Tara/Murphy OR it is a variant of Tara/Murphy. What do you think?

I just really liked this tartan and was thinking of getting a kilt made in it, but I want to be sure of the name before I ordered one.

As always, thanks to anyone and everyone for their help.

Larry
    The definition of Tartan is a plaid that is the same up and down (verical) as it is side to side (horizontal). So everything is squares.
    What you are seeing in this video is just a bit confusing to someone not familiar with how fabric is folded to create the pleats of a kilt.

The kilt in your video is pleated so that the same vertical element of the Tartan goes down each pleat. It creates a very different look than the whole flat fabric used in the aprons.

In this photo you can see examples of what I am describing.
    The Tartan is the X Marks which you can also see as the wallpaper of this forum.

On top is the fabric laid out flat. You can see the entire design.
    But below the fabric has been folded differently.

Notice that when the fabric is folded so that a single element of the Tartan goes down each stripe the total effect is quite different and can appear to be a different Tartan.

If you will look at the video again, look at time mark 2:35. Just after Howie is showing the kilts hanging on the rack you see a quick shot of the kilt in question laying on a shelf. You can now see the entire Tartan pattern. It is much clearer that this Tartan is Tara/Murphy and is the same warpwise and weftwise.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 13th December 16 at 02:17 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, now I see it...

Steve,

Thanks for the added bit of insight. I didn't know that the horizontal and vertical patterns always matched. I also noticed the red in the pattern when I watched the video again, now that I knew to look for it.

Thanks to all for your guidance and patience with this newbie.

Regards,

Larry

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this showing pleating to the sett and to different stripes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    The definition of Tartan is a plaid that is the same up and down (verical) as it is side to side (horizontal). So everything is squares.
    What you are seeing in this video is just a bit confusing to someone not familiar with how fabric is folded to create the pleats of a kilt.

The kilt in your video is pleated so that the same vertical element of the Tartan goes down each pleat. It creates a very different look than the whole flat fabric used in the aprons.

In this photo you can see examples of what I am describing.
    The Tartan is the X Marks which you can also see as the wallpaper of this forum.

On top is the fabric laid out flat. You can see the entire design.
    But below the fabric has been folded differently.

Notice that when the fabric is folded so that a single element of the Tartan goes down each stripe the total effect is quite different and can appear to be a different Tartan.

If you will look at the video again, look at time mark 2:35. Just after Howie is showing the kilts hanging on the rack you see a quick shot of the kilt in question laying on a shelf. You can now see the entire Tartan pattern. It is much clearer that this Tartan is Tara/Murphy and is the same warpwise and weftwise.
    Steve,

In looking more carefully at the pleated tartan on the bottom of your picture, am I correct in saying that this is an example/illustration of five different ways you can pleat a kilt, and not the actual pleating for someone's actual kilt that you are making? Starting from left to right it looks like an example of pleating to the sett, then pleating to the faint three part "stripe", then pleating to the no-stripe, then pleating to the gold stripe, and finally pleating to the bold white stripe.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast