X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wedding kilt -- is pleating to the sett more appropriate?

I am new to this forum and about to undertake making a kilt for my son's marriage. Our tartan is the "loud MacLeod". I've been playing around with various pleating arrangements. The sett of my tartan is not very large, 5.5". Pleating to the stripe, while interesting, results in pleats that are quite shallow. Plus, I'm wondering if it says more "band costume" than "wedding attire". Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a pro, but ....... Not sure why they would be shallow. Able to post any pics of your pleating ponderings?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While pleating to the stripe is nicknamed "military pleating' that is only because many military kilts are pleated that way. Yes, many pipe bands also pleat their kilts to stripe. Probably due to the military influence.

Pleating to the Sett is nicknamed "civilian pleating" and we think was a later development.

But both are just a valid as the other. You really should not read anymore into it than a way of folding fabric.

Some people like one look over the other. It is just personal preference.

And yes, 5.5" may appear to be small but is not out of the normal range. Do you know the weight of your fabric. In general the lighter weight fabrics will have a smaller sett for a given Tartan. The MacLeod of Lewis fabrics I have in my shop for kilts have a Sett size of around 6" for 16oz wool. The average Sett size for most fabrics is between 5.5 inches and 6.5 inches
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 13th December 16 at 03:22 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Pleating to the Sett is nicknamed "civilian pleating" and we think was a later development.
    Steven, no 'think' about it. I don't know of a single kilt that is pleated to sett before the latter part of the 19th century whereas all the surviving late 18th and early 19th century examples, military or civilian, are pleated to stripe or to nothing at all.

The OP says that their tartan is the Loud MacLeod by which I assume they mean that that's the one they've chosen? There is no reason, other than that the material may have already purchased, why they could not choose one of the other MacLeod tartans. All the alternatives are visually more pleasing IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    Not a pro, but ....... Not sure why they would be shallow. Able to post any pics of your pleating ponderings?
    Here as a pic that shows the difference. Pleated to the stripe results in pleat depth that is about 3/4" less than pleating to the sett. I think pleating to the set is going to win. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	29665

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I see what you mean.
    From what I read the pleat to the stripe is a reasonable casual pleat depth. How much material do you have - enough to skip one over? You, technically, have two yellow stripes in a black field to manipulate. Be a hugely deep pleat, I suspect. Just curious as I have spent some mindless time with a few tartans attacking the pleating in as many ways as seemed feasible, and not feasible.

For what its worth, I have one kilt to the sett and another to the stripe in mat and pat family tartans. Was as simple as which looked most pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by Taskr; 14th December 16 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A standard pleat reveal (The part you see) is between 3/4 inch and 7/8 inch. A 1 inch reveal is still not too bad.
    Much over 1 inch and you start to look like a low yardage or cargo kilt pleat.

So let's do the math.

Just for ease let's assume a 1 inch pleat reveal.
    With a 5.5 inch Sett pleated to the Stripe you would have - 5.5" - 1" = 4.5" / 2 = 2.25" depth of pleat.
    If pleated to Sett you would have - 5.5" + 1" = 6.5" / 2 = 3.25" depth of pleat.

Both of these are a bit shallow but within the acceptable range.

If you narrow your pleat reveal to 3/4" you would have - 5.5" - .75" = 4.75" / 2 = 2.375" depth of pleat if pleated to Stripe.
    And - 5.5" + .75" = 6.25" / 2 = 3.125" depth of pleat if pleated to Sett.

You are now well within the acceptable or normal range of pleat depth.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 14th December 16 at 01:17 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainelydad View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	29665
    With such a bright tartan, I would pleat to the line in the way that maximizes the black on the pleats (yellow stripe on the black).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=davidlpope;1332173]With such a bright tartan, I would pleat to the line in the way that maximizes the black on the pleats (yellow stripe on the black).[/QUOTE

I had the same thought, but get this. (This is all about color mixing). Where the yellow weft threads cross the black warp threads the color becomes a kind of muddy olive green. Pleating to the stripe really accentuates it, and the entire back of the kilt takes on a greenish tone. It could be interesting, but I'm just not willing to risk it. I could pleat to the red stripe, but that would be one very yellow kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    A standard pleat reveal (The part you see) is between 3/4 inch and 7/8 inch. A 1 inch reveal is still not too bad.
    Much over 1 inch and you start to look like a low yardage or cargo kilt pleat.

So let's do the math.

Just for ease let's assume a 1 inch pleat reveal.
    With a 5.5 inch Sett pleated to the Stripe you would have - 5.5" - 1" = 4.5" / 2 = 2.25" depth of pleat.
    If pleated to Sett you would have - 5.5" + 1" = 6.5" / 2 = 3.25" depth of pleat.

Both of these are a bit shallow but within the acceptable range.

If you narrow your pleat reveal to 3/4" you would have - 5.5" - .75" = 4.75" / 2 = 2.375" depth of pleat if pleated to Stripe.
    And - 5.5" + .75" = 6.25" / 2 = 3.125" depth of pleat if pleated to Sett.

You are now well within the acceptable or normal range of pleat depth.
    Thank you for this. I think I will pleat to the sett, which will give more depth to the pleats, as well as being more visually appealing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast