X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My standard disclaimer is that I'm no expert, and there is no subject about which I know enough. That said, I have a
    family that has long had a strong interest in genealogy, with individuals on three continents creating paper trails, not
    supposition, back 500 years on many lines, even 1000 on a very few. That digging has led through a lot of original
    documents with a lot of years; wills, marriages, land records, and court records. IIRC, I have read through land and
    court records involving women inheriting land, titles, and chief of clan back a thousand years. As well, I have seen
    articles and book extracts that indicated in certain clans there was a tradition of matrilineal inheritance. Tradition was
    overturned by the claiming of Scotland's throne by David in 1124, and by 1136 he had solidified his position and put
    in place the Norman French system whereby the eldest son got everything. Some traditional ways were allowed to
    continue for a couple or three hundred years for convenience, but by law all property, titles, and power belonged to
    the crown. Period. Barons and chiefs were relied upon to collect taxes, raise troops, keep order, and dispense justice.
    If the crown was unhappy with the result, said individual was replaced. Even earls, even chiefs. All power to the crown,
    no power to the people. The position of chief was generally allowed to stand, but at the king's leisure. I imagine some
    may feel my assessment to be in error, but history is not a kind and gentle landscape. By making it clear that no
    position was held without crown approval, and that clan lands no longer were lands held in common by the clan with
    the chief holding for the clan, it gradually moved to a perception of an inherited position, with no need to be concerned
    about the clan. Hence the clearances. So, technically, the system ended with David. Even that was not hard and fast.
    Henry I was succeeded by Matilda, though Stephen took that crown by force, and he was displaced by Henry II. David
    defended Matilda's right to the throne, and, IIRC, he knighted Henry II as Henry made his bid for the throne he felt was
    through his mother. I'll shut up now.

Though I will add that I am happy to defer to the Lyon Court on these matters.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 10th January 17 at 11:34 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    My standard disclaimer is that I'm no expert, and there is no subject about which I know enough. That said, I have a
    family that has long had a strong interest in genealogy, with individuals on three continents creating paper trails, not
    supposition, back 500 years on many lines, even 1000 on a very few. That digging has led through a lot of original
    documents with a lot of years; wills, marriages, land records, and court records. IIRC, I have read through land and
    court records involving women inheriting land, titles, and chief of clan back a thousand years. As well, I have seen
    articles and book extracts that indicated in certain clans there was a tradition of matrilineal inheritance. Tradition was
    overturned by the claiming of Scotland's throne by David in 1124, and by 1136 he had solidified his position and put
    in place the Norman French system whereby the eldest son got everything. Some traditional ways were allowed to
    continue for a couple or three hundred years for convenience, but by law all property, titles, and power belonged to
    the crown. Period. Barons and chiefs were relied upon to collect taxes, raise troops, keep order, and dispense justice.
    If the crown was unhappy with the result, said individual was replaced. Even earls, even chiefs. All power to the crown,
    no power to the people. The position of chief was generally allowed to stand, but at the king's leisure. I imagine some
    may feel my assessment to be in error, but history is not a kind and gentle landscape. By making it clear that no
    position was held without crown approval, and that clan lands no longer were lands held in common by the clan with
    the chief holding for the clan, it gradually moved to a perception of an inherited position, with no need to be concerned
    about the clan. Hence the clearances. So, technically, the system ended with David. Even that was not hard and fast.
    Henry I was succeeded by Matilda, though Stephen took that crown by force, and he was displaced by Henry II. David
    defended Matilda's right to the throne, and, IIRC, he knighted Henry II as Henry made his bid for the throne he felt was
    through his mother. I'll shut up now.

Though I will add that I am happy to defer to the Lyon Court on these matters.
    My only issue with this analysis is that it ends the Clan system just as Clan Donald, one of the oldest and most powerful clans in the Highlands emerges. what the Crown claims to own is one thing but what it actually controls is another. Another matter still is the degree of control once allegiance is sworn. Complex stuff in the more remote areas of North Western Scotland.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this is of interest:

http://www.clanchiefs.org.uk/chief/
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to hector For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123