X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Custom Polyviscos Tartan

Is there a company that will produce a custom polyviscos tartan on request? Specifically, I would like to find a company that can produce a Modern Clan Young polyviscos fabric for use in making a sport kilt.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marton Mills are the one and only Tartan mill that produce kilt quality Polyester/Rayon blend fabrics. (P/V stands for Poly/Viscose - Viscose is the British term for Rayon.)

My entire rental fleet is made from Marton Mills P/V and I have ordered many custom runs.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

tpa

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The mill can weave as small as an 11 m piece, but the price per m will be astronomical. A "reasonable" price starts at about 130 m.

Are you looking for just 1 kilt in the tartan or enough for multiple people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    The mill can weave as small as an 11 m piece, but the price per m will be astronomical. A "reasonable" price starts at about 130 m.

Are you looking for just 1 kilt in the tartan or enough for multiple people?
    Well, I'd like to have enough for a kilt bought thought I might want two if I'm going to use it hard.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people have never been in a weaving mill and seen looms in operation. This is why it is sort of hard to understand why some fabrics are as expensive as they are.

To load a loom (called warping) you have to string yarns from a roller in the front (or back) of the loom - through the loom and onto another roller on the opposite side. This first part of the process can create a lot of waste. Depending on the loom this waste can be quite long.
    This also means that there is a minimum amout of fabric that a loom can physically make.

All of this work putting the yarns onto the loom for the first time is all done by hand. It is not an entry level job.

So it actually takes exactly the same amount of labor to warp a loom for the minimum yardage as it does for a long piece. It also takes the same amount of labor to warp a loom for 12oz P/V as it does for 16oz wool.

So there is a resulting minimum cost for a short run of fabric. Many weavers set their minimum cost the same for any type of fabric.

Marton Mills charges the exact same amount to warp the loom and weave 11 meters of P/V as they do to warp and weave 11 meters of 16oz wool.

Basicallly what you are paying for is the labor to warp the loom.

Then there are the associated costs to ship the fabric across the ocean, and the retail mark-up so the business can keep the lights on.

The result of all of this is that any custom run of fabric is, in the end, going to cost more than buying fabric that is already woven and sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Please expect prices for a minimum yardage run of fabric to be somewhere between $700.00 and $1000.00 US dollars depending in the weaving mill and the retail source.

I know that this does not sound right at first. You would expect that a length of wool would cost more than the same length of P/V. But please remember that this is a bespoke, custom job. You are paying for the labor to warp the loom. Once the loom is warped the cost will change dramatically to weave a longer piece than a short one. And the P/V yarns themselves are less expensive.

The big difference between weaving wool and P/V comes in at right about 60 meters. This difference is what you would normally see if you ordered fabric that is already woven and sitting on a shelf.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 31st December 16 at 03:05 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thank you for the explanation. I have seen tartan fabric on a loom. In 2015, I was a guest of the U.K. in Edinburgh and was able to see how tartan fabric was created on a loom. Labor intensive. I'd like to add that I was also a guest of the U.K. at the Tattoo.

Basically, I'm wanting to have a kilt made in Modern Young using PV material so that I can run a few short races in it every year. I plan on purchasing a custom made heavy weight fabric kilt in Modern Young very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Many people have never been in a weaving mill and seen looms in operation. This is why it is sort of hard to understand why some fabrics are as expensive as they are.

To load a loom (called warping) you have to string yarns from a roller in the front (or back) of the loom - through the loom and onto another roller on the opposite side. This first part of the process can create a lot of waste. Depending on the loom this waste can be quite long.
    This also means that there is a minimum amout of fabric that a loom can physically make.

All of this work putting the yarns onto the loom for the first time is all done by hand. It is not an entry level job.

So it actually takes exactly the same amount of labor to warp a loom for the minimum yardage as it does for a long piece. It also takes the same amount of labor to warp a loom for 12oz P/V as it does for 16oz wool.

So there is a resulting minimum cost for a short run of fabric. Many weavers set their minimum cost the same for any type of fabric.

Marton Mills charges the exact same amount to warp the loom and weave 11 meters of P/V as they do to warp and weave 11 meters of 16oz wool.

Basicallly what you are paying for is the labor to warp the loom.

Then there are the associated costs to ship the fabric across the ocean, and the retail mark-up so the business can keep the lights on.

The result of all of this is that any custom run of fabric is, in the end, going to cost more than buying fabric that is already woven and sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Please expect prices for a minimum yardage run of fabric to be somewhere between $700.00 and $1000.00 US dollars depending in the weaving mill and the retail source.

I know that this does not sound right at first. You would expect that a length of wool would cost more than the same length of P/V. But please remember that this is a bespoke, custom job. You are paying for the labor to warp the loom. Once the loom is warped the cost will change dramatically to weave a longer piece than a short one. And the P/V yarns themselves are less expensive.

The big difference between weaving wool and P/V comes in at right about 60 meters. This difference is what you would normally see if you ordered fabric that is already woven and sitting on a shelf.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any kilt maker or kilt shop with a commercial account with Martin Mills should be able to order this for you.

But as Rocky and I order and use more P/V fabric than anyone else on X Marks we would both be happy to place the order for you.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post: