X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Early Highland Revival Coat

Some of the rabble may remember my search for a late 18th century tartan coat - discussed in this closed thread.

I'm pleased to say that I tracked it down and have now written it up - An early Highland Revival Coat c1780-85

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another awesome article!

Vestis virum reddit

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting points about the design (possible disfigurement of the owner). I do like the attempt to align the horizontal stripe in the back (even if the vertical is strange). Great job on your work as always.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im happy to see that this was written up. Did you happen to get a coat pattern from the Owner as well?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Article.
    I'm just wondering if you got any information about, thread, stitches used, internal facings, understructure, etc, etc?
    Or was the Tartan the main area of study?

Lovely to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter - Great article as usual! As you mentioned, the amount of red in the sett probably indicates that the coat/waistcoat were made for a well-to-do person. From the photos, it appears to me that the style of 1780's-1790's coat wasn't that different from the 1740's Culloden coat that you once wrote about. This coat has longer tails and a collar, but otherwise appears the same in cut and methodology. IMHO, it was obviously made by a town tailor.

I look forward to reading more of your work in the future!

Gerry

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Im happy to see that this was written up. Did you happen to get a coat pattern from the Owner as well?
    No, I don't think the pattern has ever been copied. No doubt someone could do if they happened to live reasonably close. The coat is in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Great Article.
    I'm just wondering if you got any information about, thread, stitches used, internal facings, understructure, etc, etc?
    Or was the Tartan the main area of study?
    The tartan was my principal area of interest, that and identifying the owner if possible. As the coat is undamaged there is no detail of the understructure. The seam strictching is hidden inside but I do have overview pictures of the inside of the coat and waistcoat, plus some close-ups of some of the stitching where the sleeve joins the main lining and the outsite of the pockets. Were it is visible the stitching appears to be either a simple running stictch or in the case of the internal sleeves, whip stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    Peter - Great article as usual! As you mentioned, the amount of red in the sett probably indicates that the coat/waistcoat were made for a well-to-do person. From the photos, it appears to me that the style of 1780's-1790's coat wasn't that different from the 1740's Culloden coat that you once wrote about. This coat has longer tails and a collar, but otherwise appears the same in cut and methodology. IMHO, it was obviously made by a town tailor.
    Gerry
    Gerry, comparing the this coat with the Culloden era ones there are a numer of obvious differences beyond the length of the tails:

Culloden Coat - small stand-up collar, epaulettes, no pockets, typical mid-C18th military cuffs (called Crail style in modern Highland dress).

HR Coat - large fold-over collar, no epaulettes, two large hip pockets, typical civilian two button cuff.

I agree that the HR Coat would have been made by a town tailor, most likely, Edinburgh but Glasgow or one of the other larger cities could also have been the source.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article, Peter. Thank you for posting.
    Tulach Ard