X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning A Sgian Dubh Into Something More Formal

Hello one and all.

I lusted after a sgian dubh from a gentleman in Comrie for a while, his enhanced arctic birch one with silver hilt.

http://www.scottishsgiandubhs.co.uk/...G_3114-002.JPG

Unfortunately, due to illness he will no longer be making any more sgian dubhs. This is terribly sad and my thoughts are with him and his family.

My wife discovered this when she attempted to buy the sgian dubh for me. So she purchased this one for me instead http://www.redruairidhkilts.co.uk/item/?id=161

It is a lovely piece and I really do like it but not quite as nice or dress as the Comrie one. Also, I already have a very nice day wear staghorn sgian dubh.

So I thought, rather than exchanging it or having it sit in a drawer, it would be really nice to embellish the sgian dubh. Perhaps replace the hilt with a silver one or a stone.

Has anyone ever done this before and if you have could you show me the results?

Thanks

Graeme

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is indeed sad news. I have a couple Comrie blades and have always admired the workmanship. Hopefully it is a temporary situation.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNlad View Post
    That is indeed sad news. I have a couple Comrie blades and have always admired the workmanship. Hopefully it is a temporary situation.
    Jim has been contemplating quitting for some time. I used to sell his sgians, as one of the few dealers in the US. He has had ups and downs due to his health and Harriet's health for quite some time, so I am not surprised and I doubt that it is temporary. I managed to keep a few of his blades after I sold my business and have three while my son has one. They are excellent quality knives at, I think, a very reasonable price. Jim is a gentleman of the first order. He will be missed and I too am terribly sorry to hear he is shutting down.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacRob For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met Graeme. I also would covet the sgian in the photo. There are members among us that make a quality blade to meet your needs. I hope you are able to find the one you desire. Glad to have you with us and welcome to the group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the welcome!