X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciding on new tartan

I need a little help, I am looking at getting another kilt for the collection and would like some advice. What do you look for in a tartan when buying a new kilt? I have the Irish National and Black Watch. Irish since my late grandmother was 100% Irish and Black Watch since I served on the same FOB with them in Afgan. They told me a Irish kilt was no real kilt. I was handed a new BW kilt from their supply office. But other then that it is just utility kilts in my closet.

So what factors do you take into account when picking a tartan?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't claim that my method was in a any sense the "correct" one. I have a number of Scottish surnames in my family tree - my mother's side being entirely Scottish, and chose the tartan that I like best! I chose a Forbes modern, partly because I liked the tartan, and also because the Forbeses were one of the more respectable (!) branches of the family.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a traditional Scot's point of view, whilst our roots might contain many names who's Clan tartan we could wear,------- for example, I could choose at least 10 tartans of different Clans------ we have but one tartan that we wear. Maybe we might have have the tartan in ancient hue, as well as perhaps one of the same Clan in a modern hue too. Some may even have the Clan dress tartan too, but that would not be common.

If it were me, I would stick with the Black Watch kilt, especially as you were given it by those that matter and rest assured that is a real compliment and concentrate on the very best civilian attire you can afford. It would only be fair to advise you that the Black Watch were not altogether popular within some Irish circles, particularly I am afraid to say, by those who are removed from the reality of the present day Ireland. Nevertheless as a bonus, it will be less expensive course of action in the long run.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd January 17 at 06:09 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you have several options here. What branch of service did you serve with? All US branches have a tartan associated with them. Another option is to find out which county in Ireland your grandmother was from, most counties have a tartan (unofficial to the best of my knowledge). The third is, like Jock said, to build outfits around the two you own already. And remember, while some people find it of little decorum, no one is going to throw cuffs on you for wearing this or that tartan. I myself stick to those I have direct and strong connections to, but there are plenty others who will tell you otherwise so long as you wear them respectfully. Most of all, enjoy the kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Well, you have several options here. What branch of service did you serve with? All US branches have a tartan associated with them. Another option is to find out which county in Ireland your grandmother was from, most counties have a tartan (unofficial to the best of my knowledge). The third is, like Jock said, to build outfits around the two you own already. And remember, while some people find it of little decorum, no one is going to throw cuffs on you for wearing this or that tartan. I myself stick to those I have direct and strong connections to, but there are plenty others who will tell you otherwise so long as you wear them respectfully. Most of all, enjoy the kilt!
    I would go by the county but that is unknown to us. You see my grandmother was adopted and the only thing we knew was that she was adopted out of an center in New York with "adoption papers" stating "young girl of full Irish birth." That is the reason I went originally with the Irish tartan. Since then the center has been closed down.

I did a DNA test and I ended with 27% Irish, 24% Danish, 21% Scottish, the rest was German, English, Russian, ect. The tartan in my avatar is the Special Forces tartan, for some reason I am not completely fond of the Army tartan.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a side note.

As a member of this forum you are fully authorized to wear the X Mark the Scot Tartan.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I need a little help, I am looking at getting another kilt for the collection and would like some advice. What do you look for in a tartan when buying a new kilt? I have the Irish National and Black Watch. Irish since my late grandmother was 100% Irish and Black Watch since I served on the same FOB with them in Afgan. They told me a Irish kilt was no real kilt. I was handed a new BW kilt from their supply office. But other then that it is just utility kilts in my closet.

So what factors do you take into account when picking a tartan?
    Don't everybody jump on me all at once, but do those BW guys really wear their kilts into battle (Afgan FoB)?
    Regards,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My method: My mothers side comes from Scotland and England, and thru research I have found association with three clans. The deciding factor was that my family would talk about going in hiding and having to change our names to escape prosecution, yet I heard nothing about the other two clans.

Because of that, I choose to only wear Macgregor tartan. I have one in modern, plan on getting one in ancient, and also plan on getting 1-2 in the "rob roy macgregor".

If you have Scottish in your heritage but are unsure if you come from the highlands, you can use one of the ancestry sites. Most of them will require payment though for non-US records.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slothead View Post
    Don't everybody jump on me all at once, but do those BW guys really wear their kilts into battle (Afgan FoB)?
    The last time that the kilt was officially worn by a kilted unit in battle was by the Cameron Highlanders in France in 1940. Since then, the kilt has been worn unofficially in battle by individuals, Tommy MacPherson and Bill Millin to name two. I have not heard of anyone doing so in Afghanistan, although regimental pipers do, sometimes, wear the kilt whilst on parade and official occasions whilst on deployment.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd January 17 at 12:39 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slothead View Post
    Tom,

The standard kit for combat areas is combat uniforms and shorts in MTP. But yes there is those that do bring the kilt with them. For ceremony use now of days. I was talking with one of them and one thing lead to another. The quartermasters have to keep extra kit on hand for loss or damage. Since the kilt is still part of kit they had a few on hand. The kind of ceremony use they would use them for is end of tour turn over, lost of life, awards of valor, and reups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast