X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello From Yorkshire, UK

Hello all, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I'm Mark, 38 years old and from North Yorkshire in the U.K. I'm from York but am soon to move back to the coast at Scarborough as I miss the sea! I'm a lifeboatman, I help run a charity lifeboat in York and also have just started as crew for an RNLI all weather boat.

Work wise I'm about to start a job working on a small (12 passenger) cruise ship taking guests on tours of the western isles of Scotland, sailing out of Oban.

When I'm not doing boat stuff I'm a landscape photographer and spend a lot of time around Glencoe, which I've always been drawn to, and has always felt like home. I recently found out my surname is a sept of MacMillan which might explain the connection with Lochaber.

I bought my first kilt a few years back for an invite to a friend's Hogmanay party in Dumfriesshire. It was an ex hire Highland Granite from Ald kiltmakers in Glasgow. I loved wearing it and in May 2016 wore it to my friend's wedding on Arran. That made my decision to have a new kilt made up for my own wedding which was last week.

I had an 8 yard kilt made up in MacMillan Ancient Hunting by Yorkshire Kiltmakers from 16oz Lochcarron cloth, together with a fly plaid, a black Argyll and vest, with a sporran gifted to me some years ago by my best man, the friend whose Hogmanay invite got me into a kilt for the first time. Over the years I've collected up a few treasured possessions such as the kilt pin in the shape of a lifeboat bought for me by my now wife, and an ebony sgian dubh from Anderson and Sons of Edinburgh in the 1870s.

Anyway, enough rambling from me and I look forward to being part of the community.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble!"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met Mark. Glad to have you aboard.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Mark, from Inverness-shire and British Columbia.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Ireland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Aberdeenshire.
    Alan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the Scottish Borders.
    I am sure you will love sailing out of Oban. I worked there for a time during the nineteen eighties. If the job had not been re-structured I might have settled there. Are you going to be working for the Majestic Line? I have seen their small cruise ships Glen Massan and Glen Tarsan loading passengers at Oban.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your wedding, and welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands.
    I had a holiday in Oban a couple of years back - a lovely part of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast