X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First kilt

Today my first kilt was delivered. Since I have never worn a kilt before I read the pages here and this is how I have interpreted the advice given in previous threads. I am holding the sporran where I think it should go (waiting on a chain )

So far these are the only pieces I have. Is the kilt the right height? Is the belt in the right spot? is the sporran in roughly the correct location?

20170103_225407.jpg

Thanks for any feedback,

T

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to T90 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have many different answers to both questions! Generally speaking though, the bottom of the kilt needs to be raised to somewhere near the top of the knee cap, certainly no lower than the centre of the knee cap. In my view the higher mark is the one to aim for. In consequence you could raise the belt too.

Likewise whilst there is no correct height for the sporran----- and it does depend a bit on what activivity you are doing----- but just a tad higher, an inch and a half, than where you are holding it would be a good place to start.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th January 17 at 02:10 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

T90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the angle of the pic it's hard to see the knees, but it looks like the top of the kilt is sitting high enough based on how much torso I see. The belt should be worn right on the natural waist line right over the top strap, which looks fine in this pic. As far as the sporran, a good guide is to wear it 4 fingers width below the belt. I hope this helps!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

T90

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your ensemble (so far) is a good fit for your body structure. I vote "aye" on all your questions.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, thank you for the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you have made a very good start. You can play around with an inch here or there, but the overall effect is good.
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JohntheBiker For This Useful Post:

T90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To your question on sporran height, good advice so far. Only wearing it will give you the info you need to fine tune its location. One thing you will notice, if it is too low, is that it may bounce and bang on the "boys" if it is too low. If it is comfortable while walking/rushing then keep it where it is. If uncomfortable, then just raise it up a bit.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt length looks fine to me although it always depends on camera angle, but it looks to be around top of the knee which is ideal. What you don't want is the pleats hitting your calves when you walk, which can be bad news when wet. Sporran advice above is fine too ie: possibly a tad higher. The only new comment I would make is that the kilt should be able to be centred on either the white stripe or half way between the white stripes. From the picture it looks like rotating it a little to your left would centre the white stripe, although half way between would be more normal. Just try and see which makes the front apron most evenly balanced.

A belt for the sporran would make it easier to swivel to the side should you need to do so, but a chain tends to look better in my opinion.
    Last edited by tpa; 4th January 17 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

T90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall the placement is in the right area.

Traditionally speaking the hem of the kilt should be between the top of the knee cap and the center, that by order of Queen Victory that all highland regiments were to have it above the knee. Now with that said there is nothing wrong with it being at the base of the knee as they were worn prior to Queen Victory.

The Sporran should basically hang at the groin level. So as I said the placement is in the right area it comes to what you are comfortable with.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jumper For This Useful Post:

T90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good so far. The kilt appears to sit good and the sporran placement looks correct.

Have you ordered a sporran chain already? I have found that many places, including Tandy Leather, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby, sell leather straps that can work as a sporran strap. The leather lacing is to thin unless you braid it (like I did for the strap I use). If you go this route it could safe on money and look like you spent more.

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

T90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast